Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:41 pm

Umm....are there any testing versions?

What language/engine do you use?

I'm planning to use OpenGL and 3D acceleration.
I'm out of time :-( ...but you can hit me on ICQ ;-) ...I'm seeking for new friends ;)
abigbagofcrap
level2
level2

Postby abigbagofcrap » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:38 pm

hoping to put out a testing version soon, still working on all the server code, etc.
im using visual basic, no engines or anything, though eventually i may infuse a directx engine (or just pure directx) so there can be some fancy graphics and stuff.

and jshadoww, this does take some time to program, another problem is that im really slacking off and not working to much on it which is why there is a lack of progress. i really need to motivate myself but i keep getting distracted :\
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:45 pm

server code? Why not start with client? I'm now finishing one 2D game in Java which is called 'Uplink Killer' - it'll be my gift to Uplink fans :)

Then I should start with Java version of Uplink Online - I did Flashlink, but Flash is very 'easy'....I don't know Visual Basic, but I think that it's very 'easy' too. I need objects :) and uml
I'm out of time :-( ...but you can hit me on ICQ ;-) ...I'm seeking for new friends ;)
abigbagofcrap
level2
level2

Postby abigbagofcrap » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:07 pm

well visual basi is simple, but not easy. and contrary to what many people say, it is very powerful. another plus is that it wont suffer from some exploits like c++ because it takes care of dynamically allocating variable space, and so buffer overflows are impossible, making it perfect for server programs. as of now i have found no shortcomings with vb aside from the lack of portability on different os's, but honestly, who doesnt have windows? and i have found a program that claims to be able to port vb from os x to win to linux, so eventually i may purchase that and use it. either way vb is capable for this project. if this were a 3d game it may be somewhat less suited (though even that would be entirely possible).

another plus to vb is that it is oriented around "forms" which are the actual program windows, allowing point and click to create text and pictures, etc. infinitely easier than using c++. plus using a scripting control, i can dynamically create objects and run code that is not precompiled with the program, allowing the game to download and execute code and create the "servers" inside the game as dynamic entities, expandable to do almost anything. same thing might be possible from c++, but it would likely be somewhat more difficult.

and if speed ever becomes some kind of problem, i can always infuse my vb code with dlls written in c++.

was interested in your flashlink program, since ur now onto java ill be interested in that too. dont know how well java will work, used to it only being in web applets and stuff like that, have yet to see a really decent program made in java :-P.
lets hope yours is a good one.

and remember that this could be the next big game, so dont write code for 1 server program and all clients connect to it. plan to have a huge server network that must work together so if your game ever becomes huge, you wont be looking at a full recode of the servers. it takes time but imo its well worth it.
ghostpacket
level0

Postby ghostpacket » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:24 pm

I got some ideas about how you could make a hacker game. These Ideas might not make any sense to some of yall. I really would like to see a MMP game on the internet.

Heres some of my ideas.

This will be a game where you break into your opponent's network.
You will exploit like all of the security holes in each of their computers. You can even send them a worm through email. It will wipe out their computers in the network. The object of the game is to crash the OS in everybody's computer before the PC technican can fix all of the computers.

You will have a set amount of computers in the network.
You will have a firewall that protects your network, but your opponent can hack right through it if they are good enough.
You will control all of the computers in the network.
The computers will have have hacking programs and security programs on their computers. You will have an graphical view of their network when you upload a scanner server program in their network.

You command your computers by using a command line interface.
There will be commands for each program on the computer.

You could use a GUI in the game to make it a lot easier to hack into the computers. Before the game starts you can choose between a CLI or a GUI, but each of you have to agree on the same one.

You will have a graphical view of your network.

I hope one day there is a game like this, I don't know who is going to make it, but if they make it I hope it makes sense and it isn't easy to play, if it is easy no body would want to play it.
Katana Steel
level2
level2

Hacking in a Online Multi-Player Game

Postby Katana Steel » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:36 pm

to ghostpacket:

Interresting idears... very interresting indeed

combining Strategy with Hacking (the CLI way sounds cool)
and then a graphical reprentation of you'er currently
hacking/defending no matter wether you choose the GUI-
or the CLI-way. :)

not sure how to do it though, nothing's impossible.

I'm currently trying to make a game, with something
similar in mind. that Admins defending their LANs/Servers
Hackers trying to break them.

I'm not very far though. PT I'm working on the main game/
user registration server's controle interface (the server is not
graphical, so its a client application running localy on the machine
that hosts the server which I design at the same time)

If I may, I'll keep your suggestion in mind.
-- as life grows older, I gain experience
ghostpacket
level0

Postby ghostpacket » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:14 pm

to Katana Steel

If there is anyway I can help you, let me know through these posts or email me at clarkermeme@yahoo.com.
Gnwsis
level0
Location: I used to live in greece, but i live in front of my Pc

im confused

Postby Gnwsis » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:11 am

the url doesnt work
and... did u make the game? or u jst thought u would make it??
cyazzz
-]LcK[-Gnwsis
Knowledge is Power
LcK clan Admin
Leet Crew Killaz for SOF2
abigbagofcrap
level2
level2

Update

Postby abigbagofcrap » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:17 am

Hey all, tis been a while since i last wrote anything. jsut an update on how things have been going.
ok, i just completed programming 1 tier of servers (99% sure that no more mods must be made, unless some error comes up or something). basically the structure of my game server network is as follows
Admin Server
| | |
Micromanagement Servers
| | |
User Servers
| | |
Game Servers
| | |
Clients

As of a few days ago, I completed the admin server code, and all the micromanagement server code dealing with admin servers. the mm servers can now successfully connect to the admin server and synchronize everything, as well as successfully handle syncing with eachother. admin server can locally ban/unban registration keys as well as ip addresses, and mm servers can do the same remotely. users can be added and passwords can be changed on the admin server from the mm server as well. im am currently working on code to allow the user servers to send their requests for bans, unbans, player additions and mods through the mm servers. hopefully this will take significantly less time since most of it will hopefully be copy/paste and simply modifying the existing code.
mm servers are likely the most complicated code, since they are designed to form a network interlinking all the servers. a single server could not accomadate a large network of servers, and i can not simply interlink every server because of the limits of winsock, not to mention the potential slow downs. so basically every server is independent of every other server of the same type, but using the mmservers, they can keep synchronized though it does require some repeat traffic. a basic user add request might look like this:

Admin Server
|
Micromanagement Server->Micromanagement Server
| |
User Server User Server
| |
Game Server Game Server
|
Client

hopefully this makes sense and gives you an idea of why this is taking so long.
abigbagofcrap
level2
level2

Postby abigbagofcrap » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:18 am

damn, i noticed the forum messed up my drawing. well so i guess it doesnt really make a whole lot of sense from that diagram.
ah well.
Davman
level1
level1

Postby Davman » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:18 am

abigbagofcrap.... check your.. uh.. forum messages/pm's
Davman
Gnwsis
level0

why god??

Postby Gnwsis » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:23 pm

i went to www.onlink-mod.net
and to my horror i found out that only 250 copies of Onlink Mod could be downloaded ....
shame, we want more.....plzz i beg you
:cry: , :lol:
-]LcK[-Gnwsis

Knowledge is Power

LcK clan Admin

Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:40 pm

But what has Onlink to do with this?

Onlink is a mod of uplink, this is a different game.
Gnwsis
level0

...im sry what do you mean?...

Postby Gnwsis » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:19 pm

i didnt exactly got what u meant, bt i really want to check the Mod... i think its really exciting (although i havent felt the experience yet...)
-]LcK[-Gnwsis

Knowledge is Power

LcK clan Admin

Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:12 pm

This is not Onlink.

Return to “The Future”