Realistic Uplink - <the next mod>

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Realistic Uplink - <the next mod>

Postby Deepsmeg » Mon May 17, 2004 10:14 am

Something I'm working on is making Uplink more realistic.
One of the things I want to do is sorting out the IP structure.
Fubar ISS could be 204.20.15.24
Given that, Fubar PAS would be 204.20.15.120
Fubar IB would thus be 204.20.15.114

Notice how these IPS are all valid, and all Class C...
The bigger companies would use Class A or B...

The other bit is a modification to the email system.
Your email account will receive other stuff than work related things.
You will also get realistic emails...
Debt consolidation information,
Mortages,
Herbal solutions,
Guaranteed 3 inches,
Help reduce spam,
I have no arms; give me money,
etc...

Any feedback from you guys?
(I know already mentioned this in Dev, but I want to get feedback from other people too...)
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Tue May 18, 2004 9:18 am

I believe the reason that IV didn't put valid ip addy's in the game would be to stop people going, ooh, lets see what happens if I hack this ip for real, which wouldn't be a very good thing for IV....

But the email thing would be good....

Just don't forget to include Horny college girls (maybe with pics ;)) and a few interesting 419 scams....
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
thomloks
level0

Postby thomloks » Tue May 18, 2004 9:42 am

I think the idea is great. The e-mails would be a great new thing...
ThomLoks
K98thedestroyer
level1
level1

Postby K98thedestroyer » Wed May 19, 2004 5:10 pm

I tried to attach Revelation and mail to self, but it's now in oblivion!

And Mailbox size limit is good. When Attachments takes place. Like you have 128 GQs of space? And only rises with attachments, not messages.

Whoops! Mailing response by NPCs, like if you reply this to ARC:
I wanna work Sir! Let me in!
Result is you get to work.

But if:
Bullsh*t! I don't hate anyone as much as I hate u!
You got framed :D .
Stefan Koopmanschap
level1
level1

Postby Stefan Koopmanschap » Thu May 20, 2004 4:41 pm

adding spam would be fun. would definately need the additional software 'spam filter' in the list of software to buy, where the cheapest spam filter would maybe filter out some valid e-mails and not all spam, and more expensive spam filters would be better (?)
Mattitude
level1
level1

Postby Mattitude » Fri May 21, 2004 11:20 pm

And how about being able to email other Uplink agents? That'd be a good option, so that you could talk about your suspicions about companies, and also help each other out every once in a while...
slinkygn
level1
level1

Postby slinkygn » Thu May 27, 2004 3:40 pm

I've been working on a realism mod as well, but more gameplay-related than aesthetic. I haven't mentioned it on the Dev forum, because I still haven't gotten access to it despite having sent in an email over a week ago. PM if you want to talk about changes.
xploit
level1
level1

Postby xploit » Fri May 28, 2004 3:55 am

I think staying within the 255. ip addressing is a great idea as far as realism, and cheers to anyone who tries to use a "monitor bypass" or "proxy bypass" to hack into a system that coincidentally has the same IP in the real world. In reality, this game in theory has little relevence to the real art, but it is an awesome game.

As far as adding other public records I think adding credit card companies, insurance companies, drivers license databases, and maybe other state controlled companies would be a neat idea. New missions that frame people for credit card fraud or insurance fraud like you see in the news would make it seem more real.

Another idea, concerning hacking, would be instead of everyone having a monitor and proxy and firewell would be to add a software/OS scanner like nmap (if anyone is familiar) and be able to exploit bugs in software like real hackers do.

I remember a post from a couple years ago talking about having a programming language like U or U++ where you can write your own scripts or viruses and take down mainframes/lans that way as well.

Cheers
I'm ton Lixdesic, Yuck foo
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Fri May 28, 2004 4:01 am

xploit wrote:I think staying within the 255. ip addressing is a great idea as far as realism, and cheers to anyone who tries to use a "monitor bypass" or "proxy bypass" to hack into a system that coincidentally has the same IP in the real world. In reality, this game in theory has little relevence to the real art, but it is an awesome game.

As far as adding other public records I think adding credit card companies, insurance companies, drivers license databases, and maybe other state controlled companies would be a neat idea. New missions that frame people for credit card fraud or insurance fraud like you see in the news would make it seem more real.

Another idea, concerning hacking, would be instead of everyone having a monitor and proxy and firewell would be to add a software/OS scanner like nmap (if anyone is familiar) and be able to exploit bugs in software like real hackers do.

I remember a post from a couple years ago talking about having a programming language like U or U++ where you can write your own scripts or viruses and take down mainframes/lans that way as well.

Cheers

I second all this. I especially like the programming language/make-your-own-virus idea. Couldn't make it too powerful though, or we could have a second Revelation on our hands... :wink:
Crime pays and it has an excellent benefits package.
Uplink Directory Dossier
menancer
level3
level3

Postby menancer » Fri May 28, 2004 2:08 pm

the idea about spam mails is cool,

i just had an idea, what if all these mods, CMD,Vdpin etc are added together
:idea: I mean we got different uplink.exe for different mod. can't we have all under one roof? :idea:
Owner of the unique 35000GHz & 1000Gqs+ Gateway

Trust is NOT a weakness...
It is a sickness.

A very insensible person, according to everyone on this forum (only on this)
ponix
level0

good ideas

Postby ponix » Sat May 29, 2004 9:07 pm

i think that they are all good ideas and i have 1 of my own

if any of you uplink fans have ever played decker the is a program creation tool on that.which would add a few interesting missions such as create a trojan/virus and activ8 on 255.255......
and a file binder for multi player which would make it a tad bit more real . hacking other agents gate ways to steal thier data and programs
pm if you think its a good idea
SETEC ASTRONAMY
TOO MANY SECRETS
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4

Re: good ideas

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Sat May 29, 2004 11:41 pm

ponix wrote:i think that they are all good ideas and i have 1 of my own

if any of you uplink fans have ever played decker the is a program creation tool on that.which would add a few interesting missions such as create a trojan/virus and activ8 on 255.255......
and a file binder for multi player which would make it a tad bit more real . hacking other agents gate ways to steal thier data and programs
pm if you think its a good idea

There is no multiplayer mode in Uplink.

Uplink Directory Dossier
vbhacker
level0

Postby vbhacker » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:08 am

I have only played the demo (full version on its way) but i think that there should be more realistic hacks such as web page defacements and making the password crackers and other progs harder to use.

Dont get me wrong i really like this game so far but its make it fake when you double click something and it finds the admin pass

I think some missions with sql injections or with real brute force would be really good and more accurate to real hacking.
fathamburger
level0

Postby fathamburger » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:40 am

I was thinking, with the graphic mods, change the world screen, add in america's most wanted into the GCD, add FBI mod, VDPIN, simply uplink, all those mods put together + a realistic uplink with real company names etc

could be one HELL of a sequel/uber mod to uplink itself. If there already arent plans to do this, there should be. I would like to dig into the mission generator myself

Basically think of an uplink that could realistically fool friends who have no idea or basic idea of hacking, but that have never seen it that you are hacking while you are playing ROFL.

"Yeah Im this hacker, just got a job for 12k to pwned Intel R0xr3d"
rofl
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:08 pm

fathamburger wrote:add in america's most wanted into the GCD

Even better than being able to say you hacked Intel:
Getting bin Laden arrested! "SUCK THAT, YOU FK'IN TERRORIST!"

Uplink Directory Dossier

Return to “The Future”