Multi things...

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Eleizer
level0

Postby Eleizer » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:11 pm

Multi Gateways, so I can have one for files, one for tools etc. Posibillity to buy/hijake web space for storing files (if you loose your gateway when feds bust in) or making your own servers with your own security and putting bouncers. Also, get this bouncing thing a bit closer to reallity by slowing down the trace progress. Also if you want to bounce throu some server either that server'll have to be a proxy serv or you'll have to have bouncer installed on it. For example: when you start, you get some anon bounc accounts to use by Uplink but if you want some more you'll have to breake on some server and install bouncer so you can use it or use some free public bouncers which are less secure or buy some. That way you'll have less dots on map but if you slow the trace speed to be more close to reallity you'll get some much more realistic game.
Also, before you start it would be greate that you make up some name that would be you in the game, not just handle but the name as well, maybe even to choose picture so it gets more realistic and so they can get you as well as you can get them ;). Insert female hackers as well, and put some female names and pictures in social, academic, criminal databases. Posibillity to free someone from the jail. Hacker groups (not so realistic but...). Multi connections, that would of course slow down your modem speed but it would be a greate abillity. Terrorist groups and contacts from them. NATO (if they make it until 2010) and other real life things such as NASA and similar. Of course you can make up some other names but it would be greate that organisations as those exist and of course many easter eggs on their mainframes. Maybe to put some even darker and deeper and less linear consipracy theory to be inside games plot. Ability to buy software on diferent places and also more organizations such as Uplink. Ability to send troyans, viriis, find backdoores, and maybe some site that would be as same as securityfocus in real life with Bugtraq so you can act as a script kidie if you want. Multi OS's on servers with diferent versions so some server is Unix some Windows 2010 and similar... you can change OS names if you want but you've got the point ;) BTW, nice strike with that "Micro Software from 20th century" ;) Also, more console commands. And definitly IMPORTANT thing is to get to those other hackers some AI so I can get a feel that they actually really exist. Maybe even to contact with them. You can use dialog to be as in RPG's with options... also for emails. MAke even more complex world with more sites like Stock Exchange Market. Put some twist in games plot. Make up some story why web has became such a crapy place like it is 1984 and not 2010 without any public site (such as uefa.com, yahoo.com, personal web sites etc...) but only companies with their servers... mainframes.

I know that this is quite a lot but I think many of these things would make the game to be really better. You just HAVE to make Uplink 2 cause this is NOT finished...

Good luck...

(Edited by Eleizer at 6:15 pm on Mar. 25, 2004)
Bomber777
level2
level2

Postby Bomber777 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:47 am

OK... This will be probably a long post.
First off though, do not, I repeat, do NOT get your hopes up on an Uplink 2 coming out. They're working on some other game not related to Uplink and probably won't touch on an Uplink 2 entirely or for awhile.
Now, to check through your post...

Multi Gateways, so I can have one for files, one for tools etc.
This wouldn't be a bad idea actually. Could even have a backup gateway if you have to nuke your original one. Also, you could have each in different places around the world making it harder for the cops to find you but have a cost of transport to get to each gateway. But it would probably be too complicated to implement a complex system like this to influence everything properly.

Posibillity to buy/hijake web space for storing files (if you loose your gateway when feds bust in) or making your own servers with your own security and putting bouncers.
I think if you wanted you could put files on a companies server but I'm not too sure. On the server thing though it would again be too complicated and it would be getting rid of the point of the hacking style if you control/protect your server from hackers. It would be a nice feature though but not too high priority.

Also, get this bouncing thing a bit closer to reallity by slowing down the trace progress.
If you mean what I think you mean by this statement then if this happened the game would be too easy.

Also if you want to bounce throu some server either that server'll have to be a proxy serv or you'll have to have bouncer installed on it. For example: when you start, you get some anon bounc accounts to use by Uplink but if you want some more you'll have to breake on some server and install bouncer so you can use it or use some free public bouncers which are less secure or buy some. That way you'll have less dots on map but if you slow the trace speed to be more close to reallity you'll get some much more realistic game.
I kind of get what you're saying but at the same time I don't understand what you're saying.

Also, before you start it would be greate that you make up some name that would be you in the game, not just handle but the name as well, maybe even to choose picture so it gets more realistic and so they can get you as well as you can get them ;). Insert female hackers as well, and put some female names and pictures in social, academic, criminal databases.
In this game they made it to be a simplistic as possible in the creation of your character. This could be because if you get caught you're characters gone for good or because they don't want you to customize more and not pay as much attention to the game side. On putting females in the databases and such I think they're some in there but I don't really know.

Posibillity to free someone from the jail.
Could be put in but it would also take awhile.

Hacker groups (not so realistic but...).
I think this would just be as an added environment possibility but that would probably be it unless you want to create a game AI for each gang and such which again would take awhile to implement into the game.

Multi connections, that would of course slow down your modem speed but it would be a greate abillity.
:?:

Terrorist groups and contacts from them.
I think this can really describe the companies that are hiring you for their missions to destroy others.

NATO (if they make it until 2010) and other real life things such as NASA and similar. Of course you can make up some other names but it would be greate that organisations as those exist and of course many easter eggs on their mainframes.
If you mean add them for scenery I think this can be added easily but for real purposes probably not. On the easter eggs there are a few hidden in the game.

Maybe to put some even darker and deeper and less linear consipracy theory to be inside games plot.
To expand upon the storyline would be nice but you could lose sight of the objective if you fluff it up too much.

Ability to buy software on diferent places and also more organizations such as Uplink.
I think you said this before above but I think they just wanted you to work for Uplink only through the game.

Ability to send troyans, viriis, find backdoores, and maybe some site that would be as same as securityfocus in real life with Bugtraq so you can act as a script kidie if you want.
Too much stuff to be added but you do get to send the *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER*revelation virus if you side with evil.

Multi OS's on servers with diferent versions so some server is Unix some Windows 2010 and similar... you can change OS names if you want but you've got the point ;)
It would again be too hard to put in and simulate multiple Os systems at the same time while somehow allowing you to connect to each type.

Also, more console commands.
Could be done but the commands might be worthless in the end.

And definitly IMPORTANT thing is to get to those other hackers some AI so I can get a feel that they actually really exist. Maybe even to contact with them. You can use dialog to be as in RPG's with options... also for emails.
I don't think Introversion wanted an RPG style game but more of a fast paced game where you are driven by the rush of traces and such.

MAke even more complex world with more sites like Stock Exchange Market.
There is a Stock Market where you can buy/sell stocks but the world is pretty closed around companies and such right now.

Put some twist in games plot.
You already expanded upon this.

Make up some story why web has became such a crapy place like it is 1984 and not 2010 without any public site (such as uefa.com, yahoo.com, personal web sites etc...) but only companies with their servers... mainframes.
:?:

And there is what could/would/should/will not happen probably with some of your ideas. Really the game is just to have fun and make mods for but if you want these ideas to happen you should order the Dev CD and try your hand at programming things into the game.
I should put a signature here soon....
cyberluk
level2
level2

Postby cyberluk » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:00 pm

I like some your ideas...I want to make some Uplink sequel...is Uplink a registered trademark ? I can`t see TM anywhere....If can I use Uplink II instead of *link 2.0.

Just visit http://flashlink.neo-games.net ,if you wanna see the Uplink`s <next version>
wiked child
level1
level1

Postby wiked child » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:32 pm

just a question....
what is an "Easter Egg" or whatever it was that you both mentioned.

Thanks in advance
electroshit
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:32 pm

An easter egg a special feature in games, often hidden. These easter eggs aren't just like secret weapons or the best armor. An easter egg canbe a picture of britney spears being raped by 4 midgets, or a messege from the Creator of the game or something like that
K98thedestroyer
level1
level1

Postby K98thedestroyer » Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:50 pm

And this game has MANY eggs, I can't find them all. only some such as:
2^7.2^7.2^7.2^7
Thingie in the box
Dr.Falken's game
Jaygee
level2
level2

Postby Jaygee » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:40 pm

eleizer wrote:Make up some story why web has became such a crapy place like it is 1984 and not 2010 without any public site (such as uefa.com, yahoo.com, personal web sites etc...) but only companies with their servers... mainframes.

There already is one, what you see on uplink is not the internet but the AWAN, a wide area network set up by arunmor for the sole use of companies. (note all pc's and phones belong to someone who is in someway related to a company).
But do you have the questions is perhaps a better question. Only when you know the right questions to ask can you have any hope of getting the answers you desire.
BlueScreen
level2
level2

Postby BlueScreen » Sat May 01, 2004 4:39 pm

the main reason you won't find RW company names and software in Uplink is because of copy right violations (same reason as the weapon names in retail CS have to be changed), as some companies would not like to be associated with a game that 'popularises' hacking

we wouldn't want to see our favourite games developers hauled up in front of a judge with a £multi-million lawsuit on thier heads because they used the term 'Windows OS 2010"
Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything.  Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
<damn 255 char sig limit>

Return to “The Future”