REAL Uplink Online

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

shocks tk
level0

Postby shocks tk » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:55 pm

I'm going to make uplink online as soon as I get the dev-cd, I know that you heard this a lot and you probably don't believe me but that is your problem, ignore me I could care less.  Since it is virtually impossible to directly connect with someone and play them online for hours at a time which means you would have to remake just about the entire game for multiplayer compatibility and make it fun, I came up with an algorithm that will easily let you compete with others for uplink glory.  Might not be as great as you expected...but then again it might be, or maybe better.  Don't bother asking me how im doing it or when it will be out because I will just ignore you.  When it comes out, it comes out... it will be at www.shocks.tk so be looking there for more info.

(Edited by shocks tk at 8:57 pm on Jan. 18, 2004)

(Edited by shocks tk at 11:34 pm on Jan. 18, 2004)
Bomber777
level2
level2

Postby Bomber777 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:46 am

Might I suggest not killing our eyes when we first enter your site?
But good luck, this is the second proposed Uplink Online these past months.
I should put a signature here soon....
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:07 am

Good luck

I've seen too many vapourware uplink onlines, so I hope this one works
shocks tk
level0

Postby shocks tk » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:36 pm

Bomber, lol, sorry about my site...i'll eventually get to making a new layout, just be glad it wasn't a neon green for now. :)  I just ordered the dev-cd so it should be here soon...I have ran into something that should be an extremely fun experience for a beginner programmer such as myself...hehehe
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:29 pm

Wait, your a beginner programmer? Not saying it's not possible... but don't you want to try something a little easier before you do uplink online?
Hack3r
level0

Postby Hack3r » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:19 am

!!! " QUOTE FROM SHOCKS SITE " !!!
[01][13][2004]::3:26 PM

{
Learning C++ and possibly making some Uplink mods
}

[01][18][2004]::7:20 PM

{
hahaha, people in #uplink you can laugh at me but im going to do this...I don't care if your group failed or your 30+ ideas don't work, but mine will. hehehe. I can't realease any details at all about uplink going online because it too early.. Just to let you guys know, there will be no major progress reports on Uplink Online (don't get used to that name, nothing official is going to be released for about 7 months) for about 4-7 months. And yes, a few lines of code  heh.
}

!!! " QUOTE ENDS " !!!

LOOOOOOOOOOOL      you think that in 5 days you will learn C++ ?? Hahahaha, I had to post this, it is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard in my life loooooool, I've been playing Uplink 4 long time and I've been surfing this forum, but never posted . BUT this is so ridiculous that I started crying when I saw this post.

Shocks, may the gods have pity on you!

looooooooooooooooooool
 and get that stupid green background off ur site cuz it really sux
Hah Shocks this account was made because I was inspired by your stupidity! THX - you are a revelation
Linker
level3
level3

Postby Linker » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:13 pm

Good luck shocks- but let's get realistic. I have just begined to learn C++, which is a MASSIVE language. I would recommend trying an easier language, or a least an easier project.
And Hack3r: I don't see you doing anything helpful for anyone. And stop trying to act like a veteran. Your better off being a newbie like yourself. >:(

Linker
shocks tk
level0

Postby shocks tk » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:56 am

hack'3'r-uhh, my handle is shock, sry about that shock.tk was taken ;)  and hacker, i only kno of one god, but ya, and i dont excpect to learn c++ in 5 days...and i like green, that about covers ur whole post, but thanks for posting..i guess?
linker-thanks for teh luck :) and im just not into any other language right now other than c++/perl and im a complete newb to perl but i feel like learning that too, thnx for ur recommendation, but i <3 everything i have learned so far about c++ and i keep finding so much cool code to look at and more advanced books....c++ <3
toolfanatic
level1
level1

Postby toolfanatic » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:00 am

I, personally, am very enthusiastic that a beginner programmer such as yourself is trying to take on such a large project. The world would be a better place if more people tried to be like you. We should all be encouraging shocks, and if he does a good job on it, we should congratulate him.
if you choose to pull the trigger, should your drama prove sincere, do it somewhere far away from here.
Linker
level3
level3

Postby Linker » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:29 pm

Yeah same here tool, I think that it's kinda unrealistic. If you need some code, go to http://www.cprogramming.com which has some nice C++ code.

Oh yeah, hack3r, don't try to be 1337 because with your attitude, you'll just become more and more n00b. I wouldn't be surprised if you tried to make Uplink 2 but ended up with a virus. (Which is amazing cause you were using a Game Creator (no coding!))

Now, an apology might get you a clean slate but if you continue doing this then you will be flamed to death.

Linker
Superpig
level4
level4

Postby Superpig » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:58 am

*Sigh*

• What scale is the multiplayer you have in mind? Head-to-head, LAN, or MMO?
  • Do you plan to use a peer-to-peer or client-server architecture?
  • What measures are you going to take to prevent cheating?
  • How is the balance of the gameplay going to change?

That's just a slice - a very, very small slice - of the questions faced by a professional game developer when they decide to take a game and 'make it online.' What are your answers?

I, for one, couldn't care less if you know C++. Languages are irrelevant; after all, they all boil down to assembler in the end. What I want to know is if you've got the theoretical knowledge and understanding of how (a) games and (b) distributed systems work.
Superpig
- Saving pigs from untimely fates
shocks tk
level0

Postby shocks tk » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:39 am

Can't say
Superpig
level4
level4

Postby Superpig » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:04 pm

Quote: from shocks tk on 7:39 am on Jan. 28, 2004[br]Can't say
Then I suggest you reach a level of knowledge at which you can. Otherwise you'll never get anywhere with this.
Superpig

- Saving pigs from untimely fates
Linker
level3
level3

Postby Linker » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:05 pm

I smell another failed attempt here...

Linker
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:33 pm

It won't work. No chance in hell.

I've been programming C++ for about a year now and there is no way that I'd even start to think about attempting something like this.

I have an algorithm in my math notebook right now so I know EXACLY what I am going to do to make uplink go online.

Riiiight...
Nakatomi is coming

Return to “The Future”