Collaboration of Ideas

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

CyberNetic
level0

Postby CyberNetic » Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:30 am

I noticed this forum was getting rather cluttered. I figure that it might be easier for moderators to gather it all on one topic line. I've looked through some (not all) of the topics, and collaborated a bunch of ideas together that would improve Uplink.

1) Include more individual identities. I agree with this, mostly because i think its rather ridiculous that every uplink agent can be found as an administrator or managing director of 1 or more other non-Uplink companies. - ed99

2) Include more businesses and companies. - ed99

3) More systems. - ed99

4) More scenarios and missions. Many people have commented on this, and I would agree. There needs to be a much larger selection, especially in the beginning. - ed99

5) Terrorist assistance. This would give more missions (to higher level hackers of course), and make the game much more interesting; especially when you read it in the news. - ed99

6) Military & Government secrets. This would allow for some challenges because they would probably trace you very quickly. This could give some very interesting missions to add, which would greatly improve Uplink. - ed99

6.1) As a sidenote, I think it would be interesting if there were inside government snitches that use wireless LAN's (like for ARC) to connect you to sources within the government. This would create an interesting challenge, as well as multiple more missions.

7) Central Medical Database. This is essentially another database that can be hacked with the intention of altering medical files and/or medical requirements. This would allow many more missions, and would be quite interesting. - Kendleman

8) Start your own hacking company. Difficult, but this would be quite ingenius. Perhaps more suited to Uplink 2, this could create various opportunites for the user. - ChubbyPitBull

9) Personal file servers. - Reese

10) Hacker vs. Hacker matchups. This is a great idea (Although I'm not sure it was designed for intentions with Single or Multiplayer). This would allow some active opportunites, as well as hackers attempting to destroy your computer. - Faqa

11) Backdoors. This is one of my favorite ideas. I hated compromising a system and being unable to use it to my advantage later on. This idea should definitely be implemented, along with the additional missions that could go with it. - Tormentor

12) Easier Bouncing Methods. I agree with this complete. Sometimes I like to buy time with a lot of bouncing, but it gets really annoying if you bounce several times then figure out you have to have a voice recording or something. - tkinsella

13) Email too cluttered - alter email setup. - tkinsella

14) Data manipulation. This would add a lot of possibilities for missions, which could greatly help the game. - TechnoGoth

15) Add Hud Upgrade to track users. - TechnoGoth

16) Add lag/bounces. This is another one of my favorite ideas. Many people have confronted the idea that Uplink is way to easy. Here is a great solution that could make Uplink far more exciting. This idea should definitely be implemented in the next patch. - TechnoGoth

17) There should actually be backup files for some missions. This would allow for more missions. - TechnoGoth

18) Frame company missions. These missions would be rather interesting, because rather than destroying the company internally, you could destroy their reputation (which might be more satisfactory). - TechnoGoth

19) Identification software. - TechnoGoth

20) Company logos. - TechnoGoth

21) Upgrade software. This is a good idea. I dislike having to buy new versions, so I always wait until I have enough to purchase the best version. This detracts from play, so this idea should be implemented as well. - TechnoGoth

22) File Copier/deleter remain on screen. This is a really good idea, because it would reduce boredom after you've gained access to the system. If combined with the lag idea, this would be really cool because you still have the threat of getting caught, but its quicker once you get inside. - TechnoGoth

23) Assign hotkeys. This is another really good idea, which could also be used in place of the preceding idea. - TechnoGoth

24) Introduce the use of viruses. Though revelation was interesting, it would hardly compare to the use of purchasing new viruses that did different things. This could also include trojans, backdoors, worms, etc... - TechnoGoth; Daemien Wrath; Multiple others.

25) More advanced console. I like this idea. The console needs to be updated in the next patch. #1) You need to be able to exit it, #2) There should be more options. - Daemien Wrath

26) Different port access. - Damien Wrath

27) More gateways. - Damien Wrath

Edit:

28) Better modding capabilities to allow for a wider range of possibilites. - Tory Boy

29) Voice pattern saver. This would save a lot of annoying repetition. - Tory Boy

30) More hardware upgrading. - Tory Boy

31) Basic programming language to allow for more possibilities. - Anthony S

32) E-Books. - Packett

33) Salvage programs that you find on the Net. This would be quite interesting. Rather than having to buy programs, you could find them yourself, and maybe even programs that you can't buy. - Packett

34) Separate physical from online; your hacker should constantly be on the move. I think this is a really cool idea, but it would be difficult to implement in the current Uplink (maybe Uplink 2). - Orim2k

35) More interaction; email others with information and/or missions. This idea should definitely be implemented. That little email button shouldn't be there until it's been given a useful purpose. - Orim2k

36) Virtual Battles; more ways to crack a site; more tools. This would definitely improve the game and make it harder. - Orim2k

37) Better storyline. This has been mentioned by many, as the current storyline is far too easy. - Orim2k

38) Buy/sell programs on the black market. - SentiNet

38.1) If Orim2k's idea of separating physical from separate was possible (say in Uplink 2), it would be really cool to have a black market in which to hire people to do your illegal bidding, sell stolen things, hire terrorists, assist with jailbreaks, or even sell your business (to help the terrorists).

39) Jailbreak mission. This would be really interesting, because if you helped somebody escape, they may just help you. Would be more interesting if physical from separate was allowed. - Darksun

40) Hire hitmen to take people out. This would be really cool for revenge or missions, especially if Orim2k's idea was implemented. - Prometheous II

41) Be able to contact people/swap information. - Orim2k; Prometheous II

42) Flee country when feds close in. - TechnoGoth

43) Hire people to connect wireless connection. This goes back to the Black Market idea and government snitches. - TechnoGoth

44) Repeated access traces should be noticed. - TechnoGoth

45) Affect real world with online methods, such as cutting power from a powerplant to gain access. - TechnoGoth

46) Compile .dat files for programs. - Christopher

Mission Collaborations: - These are really needed...
1) Terrorist assistance; Bank robberies, Heists, Assassination attempts, Infiltration, etc...
2) Governmental & Military secret documents. (Snitches)
3) Frame companies.
4) Central Medical database. Find health records, Alter health records, Alter health requirements/prescriptions, etc...
5) Viruses/backdoors - use on companies.
6) Backup files.
7) Data manipulation.
8) Black Market deals.
9) Assassination attempts.
10) Jailbreak attempts.

*** I have not checked all of the forum pages to collaborate more ideas than this.. Feel free to add more if you would like.

(Edited by CyberNetic at 1:28 pm on Jan. 5, 2003)
Kandleman
level1
level1

Postby Kandleman » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:51 am

Niceley done CyberNetic... ++
Back in '82 I could throw the pigskin a quarter mile.
ed99
level0

Postby ed99 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:16 pm

Great 'research'...
I'm affraid to say i've got bored of uplink and have stopped playing it... (i'd love to see some new developments that would reinflame my interest in the game)... I'm now eagerly awaiting darksigns to see how the do.
But, i'll always be posting - in the vain hope that someone at introversion will listen hehe!

bye for now...
:ed
CyberNetic
level0

Postby CyberNetic » Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:30 pm

Agreed... I've stopped playing as well, at least until they've added a new patch. Mostly because its way to easy and there aren't enough possibilities (missions, etc..). I'm really interestined in Dark Signs as well.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:07 pm

Yeah, I like most of the Ideas here - Good job bringing them together

I'm writing a (fairly lengthy) piece of fanfict at the moment, and it has lots of new missions, some of which could be included in Uplink2. For example, in my fanfict, there are two major world powers locke in a cold war - you can pass military information onto each side, and een do the wargames mission with real nukes :P
TechnoGoth
level2
level2

Postby TechnoGoth » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:16 pm

a good list of all the ideas on the forum, really gives people some improments tho think about, who maybe the uplink staff will consider using some of them in the future or maybe another group of would be game developers will use some of them. I for one hope they do as long as the remember to credit there sources.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.
Iricus
level0

Postby Iricus » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:25 am

Some great ideas there and nice work for getting it all together.
One quick note for the console although most of u have probably realised to exit just type "exit" as a command.
Silence is but a word, I am more than Silence.
CyberNetic
level0

Postby CyberNetic » Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:02 am

Damn.... i suppose that would have saved me a lot of trouble... Why the hell didn't i think of that?
WarBorg
level4
level4

Postby WarBorg » Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:58 am

I realy got bored of Uplink since no new paches ware relesed :( and the modlink stuff just isant keeping me going lik it has to so I havent replyed here for ages I now observ the news and just pass here from time to time
Last edited by WarBorg on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mess With The Best
Die Like The Rest
TechnoGoth
level2
level2

Postby TechnoGoth » Sun May 11, 2003 9:05 pm

With the new Dev CD coming out I thought it would be a good idea bring back this old post, Maybe it will give some the programs Ideas for new addons they want to create.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.
JohnWho
level2
level2

Postby JohnWho » Mon May 12, 2003 12:09 pm

As for the "reputation" of companies: That could / should reflect on the stock market. Would make the stock market a bit more useful, too.
XxAliasxX
level0

Postby XxAliasxX » Mon May 12, 2003 7:25 pm

Very well laid out.  I liked just about every one of those ideas.  But you also do realize that this is just a game.  If you really want all that stuff, how about the real thing, where your bounderies are only limited by your imagination.  Also if the game were that complex with all those extra ideas (some would be good, like extra missions, i.e. FBI and CIA database hacks) but some stuff like backdoors and so forth would be to mind boggling for the unexperienced people who just want to play a game.
Reason
level0

Postby Reason » Mon May 12, 2003 9:12 pm

If you really want all that stuff, how about the real thing, where your bounderies are only limited by your imagination.

...The whole point of Uplink is that people can satisfy their "hacking urges" without getting into trouble. ;)

Also if the game were that complex with all those extra ideas (some would be good, like extra missions, i.e. FBI and CIA database hacks) but some stuff like backdoors and so forth would be too mind boggling for the unexperienced people who just want to play a game.

That's a good point, but I think it's probably like LANs...you only need to start worrying about LANs if you're a really good player who wants an additional challenge. It's possible to play Uplink for a long time and still ignore all the LAN stuff. My point is, the really new features should only come into play when the user goes looking for them, or at least goes looking for more stuff to do.
"I'm sure they'll listen to Reason."
http://www.chaoseed.com
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue May 13, 2003 8:53 am

I do have a question about #45...
45) Affect real world with online methods, such as cutting power from a powerplant to gain access

Yep... just one thing. You cut the power, and all powerd devices go off... including the intended computers.
Although... you could make it that the server runs off of a UPS, but the firewall and proxy dont, so when you down the power, you are in almsot immediatly...

And it would create a bit of tension, as most UPS'es only allow a few mins of extra time... small ones that I use have a life of about 50 mins...

NeoThermic
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Tue May 13, 2003 9:52 am

or, he could mean like the idea IV had on the (snip - spoiler). as in, someone is gonna rob a bank, and they need you to cut the power to the alarms etc

this could mean you have to hack the mainframe of the power grid, and take out a whole area's power? no police etc either ;)

then you get a share of the theivings
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.

Return to “The Future”