Every haker writes his own progs right ?

Ideas for future addons and sequels

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Balthur
level0

Postby Balthur » Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:14 pm

In the Academin our Agents have only A's.
We need to do something like creating our own char and developing it (like an RPG), it would be fantastic.
Can u imagine it ?... A proogramist a brute forcer or something like that .. what do u think about that
Rookie One
level1
level1

Postby Rookie One » Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:57 pm

Making your own programs for the game would be cool, but I see only two ways it would work, and neither are very unpleasant.  

One way is to make a simple programming language for Uplink, but even that would be a pain for non-techs.

The other way is to make a jigsaw puzzle-type interface for programming games, but it wouldn't be much better than arranging blocks in a cube (coughSwordfishcough) to make a program.  

I really don't know how to solve this, myself.  
Zaptan
level3
level3

Postby Zaptan » Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:49 pm

While Many of us would like to do that, many more people would find it too technical and wouldn’t play the game, I do think there should be More programs, Best of they were Hidden on other computers around or Parts of the Program all over and you have to peace them together
MASTER OF DEATH - ZAPTAN
The one and only Uplink furry
Rookie One
level1
level1

Postby Rookie One » Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:57 pm

What about a more electronics schematic-like graphics interface?  It wouldn't be as complicated as text programming, but wouldn't be as unrealistic as some artificial Rubik's Cube BS.  Just have different widgets for encryption keys, decryption keys, if-then statements, loops, copying commands, deletion commands, and then build them like a flow chart?  It wouldn't be as good as coding your own program from scratch, btu it would lend to some nifty tricks.  And if you got, for instance, Programmers Suites at different levels, you could do different thigns.  
chade
level0

Postby chade » Tue Nov 13, 2001 10:21 pm

I think it would be pretty easy to come up with a non technical way to 'write' programs. As a matter of fact I am borrowing heavily if not outright stealing ideas I saw in another shareware game called Decker ( http://www.caro.net/dsi/decker/ ) where you go to a projects area and fill out a form describing the program you are 'writing'. You choose the type and complexity of the program and it takes so many days (barring setbacks) to complete it. The programs could be created much the same way characters are in rpgs with you choosing abilities and stats. And the limitations on what you could include could stem from a 'skill' rating you have in game (or you could just use the uplink rating). Just my thoughts.
Astromarine
level2
level2

Postby Astromarine » Fri Nov 16, 2001 9:56 am

YES! making programs using point-based system like most RPGs out there would probably be the best solution. The basic thing to remember is that this game strives on the following two concepts:

The "thrill" of time-based hacking
Easter Eggs.
The game need to be absolutely chock full of easter eggs to find, hack, work out, drool over, and laugh uncontrollably. This includes alternate sources of programs, hidden "development" software, about three times as many ICEs to break, etc.
TheKlumaster
level0

Postby TheKlumaster » Sat Nov 17, 2001 11:11 pm

How about an easter egg where you have to hack into a system to steal data, and it turns out to be...
Your own brain!
?

Perhaps not.
If a tree falls, and no one is there,
And it hits a mime, does anyone care?
Troma
level1
level1

Postby Troma » Mon Nov 19, 2001 2:04 am

write a program that can hack uplink bank..

even better government central mainframe

(Edited by Troma at 8:04 pm on Nov. 18, 2001)
Vaergoth
level0

Postby Vaergoth » Mon Nov 19, 2001 7:07 am

Quote: from TheKlumaster on 10:11 pm on Nov. 17, 2001[br]How about an easter egg where you have to hack into a system to steal data, and it turns out to be...
Your own brain!
?

Perhaps not.

Or a mission where the password to a system is your own alias! That would be... Suprising to say the least. And the system might contain a bunch of incriminating data about... YOU!

Return to “The Future”