Glitch or am I an incompetent hacker? [Couple Spoilers]

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Thetas
level0

Glitch or am I an incompetent hacker? [Couple Spoilers]

Postby Thetas » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:26 am

Pretty far in to the game- Very nice mainframe, all the software I want, etc.
I did the mission where you frame the CEO of ARC by uploading the Revelation virus, and I deleted the logs as well as removing the logs from InterNIC as standard practice
A few in-game days went by and nothing happened.
Then I decided to try something out and I gained admin access to Uplink International Services and downloaded the agent info file from the file server. I think this might have been what triggered what happened next.
Again I deleted the logs and also remembered to delete them from InterNIC.
A couple in-game hours later I logged on to the Uplink International Services to see what missions were available, and it said the remote end disconnected the link, but I was pretty sure I was logged in to my normal account.
Then I reconnected and everything was fine, so I went to see what was on the news, but my motion-detector on my mainframe went red so I immediately nuked my mainframe. When I logged on to my new mainframe, it said that federal agents seized it after I blew it up and that I was lucky. I also got an e-mail saying my performance was sub-par and I was reduced three ranks.
So I started using what money I had saved up to throw together a new not-as-good-mainframe, but about a minute later, without fast forward, federal agents seized that one and I got a game over.
What threw up the red flag for me was the only server I connected to on that mainframe was Uplink Internation Services. I didn't even have any hacking tools or anything. Was it something I did wrong or a game glitch?
Also was the first one legitimate, as well? I felt like I covered up my tracks pretty good but maybe I did something wrong? It was honestly totally unexpected, and it's not the first time I've randomly got the game over screen when I sword I did a good job deleting my logs.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Well several things, you gained access to the admin account of the uplink internal services then re logged on after, are you sure you did not accidently click the admin account by mistake as that whats the instant kick seems to me.

If you want to see what you got caught for select the agent after you get the black screen, it will say what you got done for.

Also having a new rig does not protect you from crimes, the system may change, but the IP does not, so they would still go with that.
Thetas
level0

Postby Thetas » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Orillian.

You're right now that I think about it. What's the legality of logging in to an admin account without using any crackers? Is it illegal on all servers or just select servers?
I neglected to check the end game screen since I didn't know you could see what you got caught for, and the files were since deleted.
I had changed the location from Europe to Japan. I didn't know you keep the same IP. If you change rigs do they always continue to go after you? Is it random? Is there a way to circumvent this?
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:30 pm

In order:

1. Its illegal no matter what, no matter how you gain access to the admin account on the server, they will try to track you down.
2. How did you manage to change location mid game? Wasn't aware that you could do that. Or did I misread that and you started a new game?
3. And it does not matter if you change rigs, they will always come after you if you commit a crime. And if you have not trashed your logs or done something stupid they will have you anyway.
Thetas
level0

Postby Thetas » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:41 pm

When I nuked my first mainframe, they had me pay 1000 credits and gave me a new beginner mainframe, so they let me choose which location I wanted it at.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:18 pm

Have to say I dont actually nuke my gateway that often so I forgot. Either way it still does not matter, they will get you.

Return to “The Full Game”