Framed??

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Twistedalice
level1
level1

Framed??

Postby Twistedalice » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Ok, had a rather random mission pop up - was doing so well until I checked my bank balances...

To make bounces through banks that little bit longer I set up a bank account in each of the banks.

I got a mission saying our friend wants to make a donation, no problem I think, I've tried to steer clear of these missions until I've been able to get myself all the required software and a nice little gateway before the main story kicks in.

I do the mission, get the reward, then consult my fund to see how much I have for upgrading some security, and Lo, I have some money in another account that I don't use. C***P I think, and start to go about deleting all the logs, but before I've had a chance I am caught and disvowed.

Hadn't even gotten to the main story line mission and had such a nice little setup.

Is there a way I can restore my agent file at all?

Thanks!
*Curiouser and Curiouser*
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:04 pm

not without backups

this question has been asked thousands of times before

please use the search before posting
Twistedalice
level1
level1

Postby Twistedalice » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:21 pm

I did search, was also asking about the mission - I ended up getting framed for it??
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:04 am

doubtful, more likely you were traced for an earlier hack,

take a look at the end screen, it will say who told on you and why
Twistedalice
level1
level1

Postby Twistedalice » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:13 am

Nope, said that I was caught stealing money from the bank that the client asked me to break into and transfer the money from. I've not stolen any money in uplink, and I quite like not stealing money - makes it a little trickier but still tonnes of fun :D
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:12 am

You do not, and cannot, be framed in Uplink. You frame others. You do not get framed.

In short, you were caught doing something you shouldn't have done and were disavowed. That's how the game works, that is what's in the source code.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Twistedalice
level1
level1

Postby Twistedalice » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:52 pm

But like I said, I've never stolen money from a bank, and nor do I intend to start.

I have a feeling it was just a random event and they picked one of my account numbers from the database rather than one that wasn't mine.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Twistedalice wrote:Nope, said that I was caught stealing money from the bank that the client asked me to break into and transfer the money from.

so unless im reading this wrong, you got caught for something you say you did and didnt do,

It does not matter where the cash goes, the fact is YOUR IP did it
Twistedalice
level1
level1

Postby Twistedalice » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:34 pm

No. I don't think you are reading what I've said correctly, lemme try again :)

I got a mission to make a money transfer. Which I did, easy as pie.
BUT the wierd thing was - the person I was sending the money to ended up being myself. It was my bank's IP and my account number on the mission email.

When I start a new agent on Uplink I always go to all the banks and make myself an account at each bank, the reason being if you have a real reason to be at the bank - you have an account there - it adds a few seconds onto your trace.

All my bank account apart from the Uplink bank account are 0.

After I had done this mission, cleared the logs from InterNIC, I checked my account for the money as payment to arrive, which it did. I also noticed one of my other accounts (Kingfisher I think) had 1,500 in there, which it shouldn't do.

As I was looking at the screen and going how the hell did that happen I got the black screen of doom and when I logged in to see why I was thrown out it was because I stole money from that bank. Which I find bizarre as all the logs were deleted etc, I'm always careful to do this after every mission.

What I'm trying to find out, is if anyone else has had this problem, been given their own banks ip and account number to transfer money into, and if it is a bug.

That make sense?
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Ah no i think i see the problem, I think you needed to delete the transfer logs as well, in the bank account itself,

not forgetting that the banks active trace is very quick so you need to move fast.

next time all I can reccomend is to delete all the evidence, the transfer logs and the connection logs on both the bank server and iNIC, and see if that helps. and also if you want, backups
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Then you got caught transferring money to yourself. Banks don't like it when you steal money from them, even if it is part of a mission that you are doing. If you transfer money from a bank into one of your own accounts, then they will catch you, and they will do it very quickly, unless you make sure to cover your tracks very, very carefully. Stealing money from a bank is risky, and requires some extra steps to cover your tracks. Basically, you didn't cover your tracks well enough.

I could explain to you how to do a better job of covering your tracks, but that would ruin your own sense of discovery. If you really want to know, I would suggest that you consult with Google.
Twistedalice
level1
level1

Postby Twistedalice » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:34 pm

I'll try deleting all the logs next time, but I read somewhere that if you do that then they don't register as the money being transferred and you get an email back from the client going, no must try harder!!

And mr_anonymous - I didn't transfer the money to myself for my own benifit, it was the mission that I was given, if you read again what I said you'll see that the IP and account number I was asked to transfer the money to was my own - and I don't steal money from the banks for my own use, only for the missions, I prefer to make the money myself and make it a little tricker :)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:18 pm

I suggest you read the FAQ in the Hints and Tips forum, and the guide it links to. It will make very clear where you went wrong.

As such this topic is at an end, you made a mistake, you were caught, end of story.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
cst1992
level1
level1

Postby cst1992 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Twistedalice wrote:I'll try deleting all the logs next time, but I read somewhere that if you do that then they don't register as the money being transferred and you get an email back from the client going, no must try harder!!

And mr_anonymous - I didn't transfer the money to myself for my own benifit, it was the mission that I was given, if you read again what I said you'll see that the IP and account number I was asked to transfer the money to was my own - and I don't steal money from the banks for my own use, only for the missions, I prefer to make the money myself and make it a little tricker :)

Perhaps I can make and end to this confusion of yours.
It really does not matter if it was your account you transferred money to, mission or not.
(btw i do it deliberately and i have a least 15 million credits in all my accounts, and also it has made me veteran ie grade 3 uplink agent :D )the main thing is that you delete the uppermost log in BOTH account statements and all 'routed to' logs at interNIC.
My guarantee is that this method is totally foolproof as they will never be able to know if the money was ever transferred to any account or not; and that who did it if at all the access logs say that you logged in as the target account user; let alone trace you. even if they trace you, you've already deleted your logs at internic.:D
Hope this helps.
Long-returning member
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:43 pm

june dude, JUNE

Return to “The Full Game”