Going ahead of the story........

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

JoesGuy
level0

Going ahead of the story........

Postby JoesGuy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:57 pm

Okay, so I've been playing this game for a while now. The other day I decided to go against convention. Knowing the plot in advance of course, I went ahead and hacked into the Uplink Internal Service machine and acquired the agent list. Then I hacked into the Global Criminal Database and got the Agent in the number one spot (the one who emails you at the beginning of the storyline) convicted and put in prison. So now that he's behind bars I do wonder if the storyline can progress, since he won't send me the email in the first place.

Anyone else tried this?
alexanderpas
level1
level1

Postby alexanderpas » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 pm

who would ARC hire, if the top agent was in jail?

also remember, wasn't there something missing from those files?
JoesGuy
level0

Postby JoesGuy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:53 am

Perhaps it's been too long, but what was missing again? And for the record, I've gotten all agents arrested. I assume they'll come to me, but does that still happen around the middle of April?
Loves his InterNIC. <3
alexanderpas
level1
level1

Postby alexanderpas » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:21 pm

well... could you find yourself in the agent list?

Also, do you think ARC is betting on only one horse to make revelation.
DimitryZ
level0

Postby DimitryZ » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:05 am

alexanderpas wrote:well... could you find yourself in the agent list?

No, because one file (No.4) is always missing. And your name is on that file. (Your Uplink ID will be there, but your real name would be "Unknown")

After finishing the storyline, I made it my personal crusade to arrest every single Uplink agent. I have jailed everyone on the list, but missed the 3 that's in the missing file, and one of them is STILL in top 10. (This also made me a Sociopath)

I waited week after week, monitoring the news, accepting every "Trace a hacker" mission that I can. So far I captured 2 of the remaining agents (including one that hopped through 5 mainframes - arrgh!!) , but the one on Top 10 still eludes me.

"You can run, but you can't hide forever from the hunter... (evil grin)"

Interestingly, the "Stop hacker from ever working again" missions never scored me an Uplink agent. I guess these are always framing missions...
Imperius Rex
level1
level1

Postby Imperius Rex » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:51 am

Interestingly I have had a few 'Elite Agent required for removal job' missions that have netted me uplink agents. My suggestion to you, if you truly are trying to take down all the agents, would be to access the public access server for each company and jail the corresponding admin. I have noticed in my playthroughs that many times a few of those system admins show up in the uplink agent list. Along with people you have cleared criminal records for ;)
~~Only Two Things Are Infinite: The Universe & Human Stupidity; And I'm Not Sure About The Universe~~
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

You can catch 'em all, actually.

Postby Chad Mulligan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:34 am

What do Uplink agents all have in common? They pay fees to Uplink.

...and how might you find out who pays fees to Uplink?

Yes, it's tedious, but if you crack admin on *every* bank but Uplink's own, write down all the account numbers, break into those accounts, and check the statements looking for the telltale fee -- you'll find the missing three, too. If you're feeling particularly sadistic, you can make merely having a bank account at any other bank be a criminal offense. I suppose if you wanted to see whether anybody else had an account at Uplink's bank (I suspect not, considering that all the other agents each have exactly one account at one non-Uplink bank -- even the missing three), you could check everybody's statements checking for transfers to/from the right IP, too.

And no, sending them all to jail doesn't stop an agent from sending the first public warning about Revelation. It probably doesn't stop the rest of the plot, either. I know this because I lately started a twisted, evil character who hit the GCD who *did* make "banking anywhere other than Uplink" a criminal offense just to see what would happen. Mwahahahaha.
"I tell you three times..."
frailcorpse
level1
level1

Hacker God

Postby frailcorpse » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:58 am

Like some of you I too decided after having beat the game repeatedly to turn E-vil lol. i started taking out uplink agents left and right. after i got some of the trace a recent bank transfer missions, you know the ones where you have to tell em the name of the person who received the money. those ones usually have at least 100k in them so i get to that point, take all their money, and raise their loans...lol yea im a bastard. then i get the best gear, hack uplink, go to the Global Criminal Database and send em all away for a very, VERY, long time lol. most of the time i max out all their charges like 3 broke paroles and 3 or 4 high tech fraud charges for everyone. that usually gets them a life time ban on computers so they wont come back and like 25 years(may be 20). i did all of that, still got the email from the dead agent, story still progressed. i messed it up big time though after getting Revelation. I infected every single computer including ARC and the rest and the game just never ended...lol well not until every system had been destroyed. then it was like bugged cause i could still play. i could only access certain things though like the file servers and ones you can't run Revelation on. you can skip a lot of stuff and complete the negative version of the game if you release the virus to everyone but arc. i cant say the same for the alternative. i tried to bring down arc in advance but the only thing that did was erased the virus you need for either mission. i play every once and awhile to see what i can do differently. i want to try to figure out a way to link the user accounts. so if i was playing and a friend was playing i could transfer money to him. not sure why we can't do that already given we have the IRC chat. maybe one of you fine people could create a mod or something. just a thought.

Return to “The Full Game”