Question: My own criminal record

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Andorian15
level1
level1

Question: My own criminal record

Postby Andorian15 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:53 pm

Hello. My question has to do with statements made both by the tutorial and the uplink guide at modlink. Both said I may need to keep an eye on my own criminal record. But why? If I don't delete my logs won't I just get disavowed? Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes after I hack a system a mission comes on about finding me. But if they already know my identity (enough to not let me accept the mission) why don't they just frame me then?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: Question: My own criminal record

Postby Montyphy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:49 pm

Andorian15 wrote:But why?

Because you can't do missions if you have a record.

Andorian15 wrote:If I don't delete my logs won't I just get disavowed?

There are ways to get a criminal record while not being disavowed.

Andorian15 wrote:Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes after I hack a system a mission comes on about finding me. But if they already know my identity (enough to not let me accept the mission) why don't they just frame me then?

Uplink are the ones who know your identity and are preventing you tracing yourself, not the people giving the mission.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Andorian15
level1
level1

Postby Andorian15 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:33 pm

That makes a lot of sense, but it says that its under the employers instructions that they don't allow me to accept the mission. I also checked my criminal record under my ratings, it said I had none. This implies they're trying to trace me, since each "trace a hacker" mission pops up right after I hack their systems :)
Johnis
level2
level2

Postby Johnis » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 am

I will tell you do something which is really cool . Clear your criminal records always but. . .

Try to add a criminal record to you ! ! like
---BEST HACKER-- or --He belongs to Organized Crime INC--

after that . . .
check your Rating ;)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:27 am

Incriminate yourself. Clever.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Tinky
level2
level2

Postby Tinky » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:35 pm

thats a bit weird
my favourite kind of poos:
Sweetcorn poop
Tar-mac poop
TheaN
level1
level1

Postby TheaN » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:30 pm

Andorian15 wrote:That makes a lot of sense, but it says that its under the employers instructions that they don't allow me to accept the mission. I also checked my criminal record under my ratings, it said I had none. This implies they're trying to trace me, since each "trace a hacker" mission pops up right after I hack their systems :)

That usually happens.

For as far as I know, that's also the basic principle of a frame mission: other hackers have to accept the 'TaH' mission that has appeared for the hack in which you framed someone. Once it has disappeared from the mission screen, the person to be framed will be arrested ~4 hours later. Or.... of course, you, if haven't modified the logs yet. But that would be stupid. The strange thing is that it's not ALWAYS the case: I once had a Bank Fraud mission where I logged towards the person, the TaH mission appears, but before it's gone, he's arrested. So I don't know if it's actually true what's in the first part of my post, but it's the sequence I've seen the most.
Since 2004 I've my own Uplink txt guide. I tried to differ it from the UUG. FInd it on GameFAQs' Uplink FAQ page (going to revise it during the christmas holiday).
TheaN's Text Guide
BS0D
level0

Postby BS0D » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:28 am

Hey guys,

I'm kind of weirded out here, I have a mission where I'm supposed to add a criminal record to someone.... and that someone is ME !

Should I do or abandon the mission?

I don't know what to do right now !

Thanks for any help you can give me ...
BS0D
level0

Postby BS0D » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:03 am

Alright well I actually can't change the record there.

I have all the tools necessary, I have access, I type the name of the supposedly responsible person and believe it or not, its always my name that comes up with no picture.

Since I can't change the records in the database, what should I do? Should I just abort that mission at the risk of being downgraded ???
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:11 pm

When you type a name into the box, Uplink goes through all of the records, in alphabetical order, looking for the one you want. For whatever reason, your own record is placed at the very end of the list. If Uplink does not find the thing that you are looking for, then it returns the very last result in the list, which is you. Thus you have not been asked to alter your own record. Rather, you are typing something in wrong.
BS0D
level0

Postby BS0D » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:40 pm

OK that is good to know, I didn't want to give myself a record.

Tell you what though, I managed to rob a bank and not get caught. I stole 2.5 million credits from a guy, so I updated my gateway to the best one, as well as all my hardware & software.

That was really stupid of me, because now I don't see the point of playing anymore. I've got it all, so why bother doing missions for 10,000c ?!

Meh, the excitement is lost now.
Waylon Sachs
level1
level1

Postby Waylon Sachs » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:50 am

Wait until you do the missions, the game gets its life back, especially on the finale.

Return to “The Full Game”