i need some help

Discussion on the full game [spoilers]

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

zerocool22
level1
level1

i need some help

Postby zerocool22 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:55 am

i currently have had uplink for the past 3 months, working smooth as a kitten, but within the last week it started to act up i tried to play today and it wouldn't even work anymore. can i get a full game download or can i get a new cd.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:06 am

Hmmm, reinstall from the cd, and/or reinstall the lastest patch (currently 1.31) http://www.uplink.co.uk/cgi-bin/countdo ... ch1.31.exe

Worst case start a new agent.

If you upgrade from old version of the game to version 1.31, you'll have to start a new agent anyway (else the game could crash or ...).
Last edited by frenchfrog on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerocool22
level1
level1

let me re explain

Postby zerocool22 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:18 am

what i meant was that the game won't even start anymore, its not a problem of i can't play as one of my other characters its it won't start up.
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:38 pm

Won't start anymore, and problems started within the past week?

Have you changed something on your system within the past week; Installed or updated software, or changed hardware?

Do you perform any disk maintanece using scandisk/chkdsk or defrag utilities?

When was the last time you scanned for viruses and spyware?
zerocool22
level1
level1

Postby zerocool22 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:32 pm

no i haven't changed anything i tried going to my friends house and installing it and it wouldn't work there either
zerocool22
level1
level1

Postby zerocool22 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:33 pm

no, i dont have any viruses, and i already defragmented my system
sorry should have said this in the other reply
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:59 pm

I would say try to start the game with '+graphics_safemode +game_debugstart' on the command line.

You could also check for debug file 'debug.log' in the game directory or subdirectories.

Report what's in the file.
DemonSlayer
level1
level1

Postby DemonSlayer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:31 am

In the folder (Drive):\blablabla\Uplink\users delete the file named "options"
I had a problem recently where I would try to start the game and the error reporter would pop up and deleting this fixed it. You have to cretate a new account named something other than your current username and then just log out of the new one and log into your account.
thelo_nez
level0

Postby thelo_nez » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:16 pm

zerocool22, I am having nearly the same problem. I had uplink uninstalled for a several months, and I got the urge to play again, so I reinstalled, then upgraded with the latest patch. It seems like the game starts, but there are NO graphics whatsoever. I can hear the uplink sounds (typing and stuff) but it appears that my monitor even turns off (the green light goes off). I cannot ctrl+alt+delete out of this, no alt+tab, no alt+F4, no alt+enter, no ESC, I even have a hibernate button on my keyboard that usually takes me out of my games if they have frozen (puts system in hibernation, then I have to log back in). I'm on Windows XP. I've tried running the program in combatibility mode for WIN98, just for kicks, no success. I tried forcing 640X480 resolution as well, in the same combatibility box. I'll list my specs, but in the meantime i'm going to try AGAIN to uninstall/reinstall. Oh, and it did the same thing before I installed the patch. I was hoping the patch might remedy it.

Windows XP Pro SP2 (32bit)
Althon 64 3800+ @ 2.8 GHz
1024mb x 2 Corsair XMS DDR3200
160Gb Seagate SATA HD
MSI nVidia 6800gt
ASUS A8N SLI
Onboard Sound

No Viruses or Spyware/Adware. Recently defragmented, no disk errors. Again, there is no way to get out of Uplink once I've started it, it just sits there with a blank screen. I have to reboot. I had the FBI mod installed, but then uninstalled everything and reinstalled the original version with patch because I was experiencing the same problem. Doesn't seem like anything helps and/or changes the blank screen. My debug.log file doesn't list anything, it is empty. I tried using the "+grahics_safemode +game_debugstart" addition to the command line, but still same result. If anyone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated, I miss playing Uplink!

EDIT: Uninstalled/Reinstalled and it DID work with "+graphics_safemode" command line addition. It was in a small windowed version though (safemode, i take it). I guess this definitively means that this is a graphics problem then, I'll keep fiddling.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:09 pm

hmmm, somebody had graphical problem and they changed the video profile for Uplink (in nvidia driver), disable AA, disable anisotropic texture filtering, also try to play with v-sync (on/off).
zerocool22
level1
level1

still stuck

Postby zerocool22 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:25 pm

well i tried everything and it won't work i even tried copying it to another cd and it won't work and i have xp, i had it even before i installed it, just for kicks i installed another game, and it worked i sent my uplink cd to my friend and he checked it out, he's and computer engineer and he couldn't figure out that anything was wrong with the cd, i just don't know what to do. i tried all the patches. does any one know if the i could download the full version somewhere, or somebody could email it to me i was just getting into the game when it stoped on me, i don't want to stop playing the game.
thelo_nez
level0

Postby thelo_nez » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:34 pm

zerocool22, what exactly happens when the game won't start? Does it make the little timer next to cursor acting like it's going to start, but then nothing starts? Or is there an error message, etc.

(I'm playing around with mine right now, I seem to have isolated the problem to something within the display timings/resolution area. My videocard's lowest full-screen resolution is 800x600, so i'm discovering some issues there. Oh well, I DO have it working again, just still windowed. But it's better than nothing, definitely.)
zerocool22
level1
level1

Postby zerocool22 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:32 pm

no i doesn't act like it's going to work, no little timer pops up next to the cursor. iv'e tried everything. like iv'e said does anyone know where i could download uplink or could someone email it to me.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:46 pm

thelo_nez:

When you reinstalled did you copy back your option file? (using your old option file )
zerocool22
level1
level1

Postby zerocool22 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:40 pm

no i deleted all the files and reinstalled it

Return to “The Full Game”