Game pegs CPU at 100%

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

WarnerCK
level0

Game pegs CPU at 100%

Postby WarnerCK » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 pm

When running, this game take one of my CPU cores up to 100% and just sits there. There's no reason that a 12-year-old game justifiably needs that much compute time. By comparison, Serious Sam 3 takes about 40%.

I can only imagine that it's spamming the system clock, or something equally pointless.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 am

It's probably using a system function 60 times per second to wait for your GPU to finish drawing/swapping buffers. You have an NVidia card, right? It's their fault, the system function hangs inside their driver. The game developer's choice is between 100% CPU usage and tolerating completely uncontrollable amounts of mouse lag.
WarnerCK
level0

Postby WarnerCK » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:25 am

...and yet every other developer somehow manages to not use 100% CPU and still has responsive mouse input?

Christ, the game's 12 years old. You could render everything in software without touching the video driver and still not get to 100% on a modern processor core.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:29 am

WarnerCK wrote:...and yet every other developer somehow manages to not use 100% CPU and still has responsive mouse input?
Played Dead Space? What Uplink does is the only way to guarantee minimal input lag. All other methods give one or two extra frames for the average user, not a big deal, but noticeable; what's worse is they will give ten or twenty or even sixty or more to some people. And simple graphics make more problems than complex graphics.

WarnerCK wrote:Christ, the game's 12 years old.
And your graphics driver is half a year old. The game was developed (at least in this point) respecting the best practices of the time, if that causes trouble now, it's the driver's fault. Plain and simple.
jimmybrion
level0

Re: Game pegs CPU at 100%

Postby jimmybrion » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:09 pm

i very boring, I get the error message too.

Return to “Bug Reports”