Storyline Will not Start on Ipad Version

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

3mbalmer
level0

Storyline Will not Start on Ipad Version

Postby 3mbalmer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:09 am

Since I downloaded the updated version of Uplink for Ipad, the story-line simply will not start at the appropriate time. Another Ipad user has discovered this as well and posted about it in the app store.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I am an experienced uplink player (had the game back in 2001 when it released) so I know that i'm not doing anything wrong in-game.
Optimisty
level0

Postby Optimisty » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:29 pm

I'm not having that problem, but hmm, here are a few ideas:

- delete and reinstall the game
- clear the ipad's cache by holding down the round home button and the small black power bar at the same time until the apple logo shows up (you might see the red power slider--keep the buttons pressed and it will go away, soon to be replaced by the apple logo). Once you see the logo, let go and allow your ipad to keep rebooting.
- are you fast-forwarding at the very beginning of the game? Maybe you need to be a certain rank or have completed certain types of missions before you'll get the first mission.
- When you look at your rankings do you see the "indication" that you should have received the assignment? I don't want to put a spoiler, so by "indication" I mean the event that triggers the storyline.
- Did you complete the intro mission? If not, maybe you have to.
- have you read the news section? maybe you have to go on that screen for things to trigger.

I have an ipad first gen. I don't know if that makes a difference. Anyhow, you shouldn't have to jump through hoops, but sometimes programmers make things in a linear fashion, and if you skip ahead or make unexpected choices, things break.

Good luck!
Take this pink ribbon off my eyes.
3mbalmer
level0

Postby 3mbalmer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 pm

I have tried everything you suggested in the above post, and closed all open apps except uplink, still no luck. The game plays normally, my rank progrresses as usual, but NO story-line-related news events appear and the initial email from the ex-ARC agent never materializes.

Another reviewer has noticed this same problem on the app store page. So I am not the only one. It seems to have started when they updated the game for the Ipad mini.

Anyone from Introversion want to weigh in on this? Are there bug-fixes on the horizon?
Kurischan
level0

Postby Kurischan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:37 pm

I am having the same problem. I've tried numerous times to trigger the main storyline on my ipad to no avail; it never happens. I tried triggering it on my PC, as I have it there too, and it works, so the problem is with the iOS version only. Hopefully, the Devi address this problem soon, or I'll feel as I've wasted my money.
Manwe_SandS
level0

Postby Manwe_SandS » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:58 pm

I bought Uplink a week ago (has no previous version). I didn't play the game on PC or Mac before, so I don't know how a story line should works. But there are still 4 messages on the BBS News.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 pm

There will be an email. What you have to do after that will be obvious.
3mbalmer
level0

Postby 3mbalmer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:48 pm

I am a veteran Uplink player on the PC version and I know what to do when I receive the email. The issue we are pointing out here is that the email never comes when it is supposed to, despite having progressed in the ranks, done the tutorial mission, etc. I really hope the Devs see this and address this problem.
zaius
level0

Postby zaius » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Anything further on this?

I have the same problem. No email, and the 'indication' does not occur.

I've done this with accounts rolling in dough and up to mage, and i've tried going straight from the test mission to the mainframe. I just get thrown in jail.

Only thing I can think of is that I haven't made it that far along with an account that ran the tutorial.
Darkbishop-penumbra
level0

Story line still not working for ipad

Postby Darkbishop-penumbra » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:10 am

I dled the ipad version not to long ago. Really enjoying Uplink on an ipad. But I've had 4 different hackers and none of them got the email that your sopost to get around mid April that starts the story line. I hope that something gets done soon. If the bug gets fixed I'll give the game 5 stars in the app store. How 'bout it? :)
3mbalmer
level0

Issue is STILL unresolved

Postby 3mbalmer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 am

So its been months and nothing has changed. Many people are reporting this bug. Where are the developers supporting their software? Fix this please.
MarcoEternity
level0

Postby MarcoEternity » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:11 pm

And again no one is responding. Uplink is an AMAZING game, but without the story it gets pretty boring pretty fast. Wonder if there's a way all users who have this problem get their money back, since Introversion seems to be completely ignoring this toping and neglecting solving the problem.
Mark
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Fixed

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 pm

We've fixed this and are waiting on Apple to release the new build.

It's no excuse but it's quicker to mail support@introversion.co.uk. That way we'll know about the issues more quickly and can work on a fix.

Return to “Bug Reports”