Install issues

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Jakolb
level0

Install issues

Postby Jakolb » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:12 pm

I've recently re-installed Upplink from an original disc, bought when the game was only just released.
I played through as far as the storyline missions, but was told I would have to restart as the version I was using had errors in the storyline, I think I had started character and then patched. To try to ensure this didn't happen again I un-installed completely and that's where problems have occurred.

I have a laptop with Win7 Pro, and while I could install via Windows XP Virtual Machine I don't want to, especially as it was running fine until I un-installed. Setup just sits there in my processes when I try to install, and trying any and all compatibility modes makes no change at all. I've tried using a networked DVD drive, or an iso of my disc but same issue.

Would I be able to download a fresh install from somewhere ? Anyone else had this problem?

thanks

Jak
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 am

Where did you get the disc from? If you ordered if from Introversion's online store, you can log in there (somewhere) using your email and have access to downloads of your game. Maybe that will work.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 am

He stated in his post that he bought the disk when Uplink was first released. This means that the IV store did not yet exist as such---the download system was not implemented until (IIRC) the release of Defcon. If he has the original disk from IV, he should use the contact form. If he bought it from Strategy First, he may be out of luck. In either case, the contact form is probably the best way to go.

Jakolb: you might try installing the game via the virtual machine, then copying the files over. I don't know enough about Win7 to be useful, but it can't hurt to try, right?

Return to “Bug Reports”