Missing buttons/resolution

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Totaledcow
level0

Missing buttons/resolution

Postby Totaledcow » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:39 am

I purchased the Introversion bundle today during the steam sale, remembering having seen Uplink some time ago. At any rate, when I launch the game, after I get through registration, I am missing the buttons that are supposed to be along the bottom and am unable to complete the tutorial. If I open the options, I get a blank black screen which I can't exit from, and am forced to close the game using Task Manager.

My system is Win 7 64bit running 2x Radeon HD5770s in Crossfire with 3 26" monitors. I'd like to adjust the resolution to 1920x1200 so it runs native res, or run the game in windowed mode, but I don't see a way to change the options through an ini or text file, and since the options screen is broken I'm kinda screwed.

Thoughts on what I can do to rectify the situation?

Also, I've tried running in compatibility mode and it is running as administrator.
Totaledcow
level0

Postby Totaledcow » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:53 pm

bump? Nothing? I'm stuck and unable to play the game unless I can resolve.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:04 am

(Just got Uplink for the sake of completeness, or I'd have answered earlier)

Graphics settings are stored in <steam root dir>/SteamApps/common/uplink/users/options. Unfortunately, it's encrypted and binary, so playing around with it is not recommended. But you could just delete it, disconnect your extra monitors, restart uplink, create a new agent (different name than your first), pick a good resolution (the X in the top-left corner, then "options" on the right, and then the screen at the bottom, which may or may not be the icon you were talking about), then reconnect your monitors. Your old agent should still be there.

If that fails, there would be command line switches you can pass uplink to make it run in windowed mode.
apuretkdz
level0

Postby apuretkdz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:15 am

but i have same problem but if i run it on windowed it messes up? like if i make it larger then buttons go all wierd i need to click alot mor upper than the buttons are. what is the solution for that?
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:10 am

In the past, graphic enhancement programs like Windows Blinds caused this kind of issues.

Do you run any such programs?

Perhaps some computers spec would help?
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch

Return to “Bug Reports”