No Sound on SuSE 11.0

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

dmk
level0

No Sound on SuSE 11.0

Postby dmk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:07 am

I installed Uplink and the latest patch on my new SuSE 11.0 system and the game runs ok but I am not getting any sound. I am using GNOME and can hear the system sounds but the game gives no sound. I looked for similar posts but most other posts seemed to be about people wanting to get rid of their sound. :) I guess I am just weird that I want to hear them. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm not a hacker in real life but I play one on PC.
ekern
level0

Postby ekern » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Just installed openSuse 11.0 (32bit) last night, and can confirm that I've got the same issue on my Lenovo T61p laptop.
Also running Gnome, and sound works in all other applications I've tried so far.
Running the Intel HDA drivers and ALSA.
Running Uplink complete-1.54 with patch to 1.55.

Solution:

Rename ../uplink/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 to something else, in my case: libSDL-1.2.so.0.org

Restart game -> Sounds and music OK in openSuSE 11.0
dmk
level0

Postby dmk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:45 pm

Thanks for the info. I may have to try that too if my sound problems continue. This morning I went to the sound config under YAST and found that somehow the sound card wasn't set up fully. It was as easy as using the defaults under edit, testing and finishing and now sound including sound in uplink is working. (so far :) ) Hope it lasts. If not I will try your solution. May do that anyway as the volume for uplink seemed a little lower than the system volume. Thanks again for the info ekern.
I'm not a hacker in real life but I play one on PC.

Return to “Bug Reports”