DEFCON-esque World Map

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Leonaken
level3
level3

DEFCON-esque World Map

Postby Leonaken » Fri May 18, 2007 11:47 pm

While this isn't a bug or a glitch, I do feel it hampers gameplay and needs to be fixed.

After the release of DEFCON, I noticed the Uplink devs changed the World Map graphic to be like the one prominently featured in Introversion's newest game. I see why this was done, and it certainly looks cool. But there's a major issue with using it in Uplink: it makes using the World Map frustrating.

The new graphic for the World Map uses white outlines for the continents which makes seeing server locations difficult because they, too, are white. Servers and server names that overlap borders are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to discern. This is frustrating.

While the old graphic looked kind of like poo, it contrasted with the white text and blocks and took no effort to read. Please revert back to the old image or fashion a new one that doesn't make reading difficult.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat May 19, 2007 1:45 am

I believe you can choose between which map you use in the settings, but it only applies for games started after that point. you could unrar that patch.dat files and replace the Defcon map with the another one if you want a faster fix.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat May 19, 2007 5:08 pm

You can select the world map you want, original or Defcon, in Uplink Options. Beware, it only apply on agent creation.

And, before someone ask about the 'agent creation' limitation, it's because the water areas aren't the same in the 2 maps.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Leonaken
level3
level3

Postby Leonaken » Sat May 19, 2007 5:21 pm

Ah, I see. The old graphic is just not default.

All the same, the DEFCON-style map needs to be adjusted so that white boxes and text are legible on top of it. I mean, it is what people are using by default.

Return to “Bug Reports”