For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Akatosh
level2
level2

Text not appearing

Postby Akatosh » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:37 pm

Hey,

first of all: I know there was already a thread about a similar problem (http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... hp?t=36652), so please don't shout at me. I've already tried what was suggested there, but it didn't work. Also, I've a bit different problem.

When I log onto a server, the menu buttons appear, but they lack the text next to them. Although that isn't too much of a problem - I quickly learned which button is where (file server: 1st button, log deletion: 4th button, then 1st...) but extremly annoying.

The strange thing is, though: If I have my memory banks opened or the FileCopier/Deleter/Log Deleter running and sticking to my cursor, the problem doesn't occur.

My computer specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3400+
RAM: 512 MB DDR-RAM
Graphics: SiS M760 :evil:

Highly likely to be a graphics card problem, as the other guy had it, too.
This is not a signature.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:47 pm

I would say that you are already lucky it's working at all in opengl hardware acceleration (the driver provided with your video card).

Try putting this opengl32.dll file in your Uplink directory, you will get software rendering at the price of much slower frame rate and higher CPU usage.

P.S. Next time you have a graphics glitch, provide a screenshot.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Akatosh
level2
level2

Postby Akatosh » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:51 am

Thanks, it works just fine now... although the FPS rate goes down a little when I bounce my connection through every system listed on InterNic and the world map seems to carry a very strange spider web (probably the spider was drunk)...

Strange, isn't it :wink:
This is not a signature.
bluewest8
level0

Postby bluewest8 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:38 am

Hi,

I've got the same problem when I try to "regiter"!

I did exactly what frenchfrog suggested, but I still can't see any text.

http://img.waffleimages.com/3865c71ea03246f2d52e0e4cb749fdd45d8de0bf/wtf.JPG

I bought this game through Steam.

Any suggestions???

EDIT:

Nevermind.. I found the solution in another thread.

It was because of Windowblinds! It's working fine now.
Dezmond
level4
level4

Postby Dezmond » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:18 pm

frenchfrog wrote:I would say that you are already lucky it's working at all in opengl hardware acceleration (the driver provided with your video card).

Try putting this opengl32.dll file in your Uplink directory, you will get software rendering at the price of much slower frame rate and higher CPU usage.

P.S. Next time you have a graphics glitch, provide a screenshot.

Replacing the opengl32.dll is a good fix, as I was having multiple issues using the same graphics core as the original poster - it's good that there was such a simple fix as I was getting worried that I'd have to downgrade back to 1.3...

In terms of frame rate to be perfectly honest I've not really seen any difference - it's just that the CPU usage is higher than it previously was - as you said.

Cheers!

Return to “Bug Reports”