mods?

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

taltamir
level1
level1

mods?

Postby taltamir » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:12 am

I noticed that almost all the mods for uplink have ONLY a modified EXE. The mod could be adding programs, changing the IRC client, modifying the default address on IRC (to the new correct address, which btw the new patch should do!) etc, and yet it still only has a single EXE file. This means that almost every function of the game is packed into a single exe rather then be spread out across dll files etc. Wouldn't it be a good idea to move to a more object oriented approach?

I have only programmed simple programs where it was rather easy to offload things into other files, it might however be much harder then I think for a program of this scale so I don't know how hard it is. But I have often seen games and programs split off various dll files from the main executable in a patch so I assume its not terribly taxing (unless ofcourse their situation was different where a more distinct easily moveable item was availble for seperation.)

Also, are there any plans for integrating changes made in mods into the game? this should be as simple as asking the modders for their source code, as I am certain they will gladly oblige.
fragmonkey
level1
level1

Postby fragmonkey » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:43 pm

Well considering the age of the game, and the fact that the new one is coming up, I'm fairly sure Uplink won't go much beyond the upcoming(?) patch.
taltamir
level1
level1

Postby taltamir » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:23 am

well... i was thinking as a feature for the upcomming patch, if its not to hard. it will certainly make it easier for the modding community.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:07 am

It looks like some features of the upcoming patch will include a few features from mods. Although a lot of the work is directed towards bug fixing. Afterall, quite a few mods did handle a few buggy issues
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “Bug Reports”