Hang on disconnect, OK, or Quit

For problems with the game

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

urim
level0

Hang on disconnect, OK, or Quit

Postby urim » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:14 am

I've tried to play this game a bunch of times, but whenever I play it the game hangs for about 5 seconds whenever I hit an 'OK' button, the Disconnect button, or the 'x' button at the top left of the screen.
I don't know why - I tried removing the opengl32.dll file but it had no effect. The same thing happens when I try the demo version - it makes the game just unplayable because you have the 5-10 second wait every time you hang up from anyone.

If someone could help me out I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:53 am

This sounds like a problem I had when I tried to use a mod (Onlink). It got so bad I had to delete the entire Uplink directory and restore from a backup. Hopefully this is not your case.

There may be a couple of reasons why Uplink is slow to respond:

1) Background processes in your system (firewall and antivirus) may be intercepting your clicks.

2) Your system may be too slow to play Uplink.

Let's see your system specs, including any firewall and antivirus software you run.
urim
level0

Postby urim » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:00 am

Thats awesome! It turned out to be my anti-virus software - McAfee's VirusScan enterprise edition. I just disabled it and the game works perfectly.

Although, I've gotta say - thats really really wierd. Why on earth does my antivirus software interfere with the game?
xMs
level3
level3

Postby xMs » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:43 pm

urim wrote:Thats awesome! It turned out to be my anti-virus software - McAfee's VirusScan enterprise edition. I just disabled it and the game works perfectly.

Although, I've gotta say - thats really really wierd. Why on earth does my antivirus software interfere with the game?

Because McAffe is shit.
Duh,
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:11 pm

xMs wrote:
urim wrote:Thats awesome! It turned out to be my anti-virus software - McAfee's VirusScan enterprise edition. I just disabled it and the game works perfectly.

Because McAffe is shit.
Duh,

Actually, any antivirus program needs to monitor system activity for possible signs of viruses (viral signatures, program changes, resource access, etc.) which often requires CPU time to work.

McAfee's VirusScan used to be such a good product, but with what I'm hearing lately I'm glad I switched to Avast! antivirus.
Calimar
level1
level1

Postby Calimar » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:53 am

Avast rocks.

AND it doesn't interfere with uplink ;)

I hear you about McAfee.. I used to love it. But it got the "moneymaking company syndrome".... if you get my drift.

too bad.
C
frymaster
level0

Postby frymaster » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:48 pm

Thank you :)

same problem.. McAffee on-access scan caused 5 second pause when clicking "disconnect" or the "OK" box after a disconnect

wierd...

Return to “Bug Reports”