Some "randomly generated" LANs un-hackable?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

tynan
level1
level1

Some "randomly generated" LANs un-hackable?

Postby tynan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:38 pm

I have been attempting, multiple times, to hack a particularly troublesome LAN as part of a Copy Database mission. After attacking it from 2 different entry points (first the Router, then a Modem) I still cannot breach the 3 Locks that protect the Main Server. I have hacked every possible thing I can connect to: I have Spoofed the 2 Subnet Configurations (consists of a Terminal with 3 other Terminals), I have Enabled and Disabled the Isolation Bridge and gotten through the 2 Locks it controls, but the 3 Locks protecting the Main Server are still out of reach. My only recourse seems to be LAN Force, but as soon as I do that the Admin hunts me down (which most certainly does not allow me enough time to copy a whole database, never mind hacking the Server) and this is a small LAN, with the Main Server only 2 connections away from the Router of all places.
My question: due to the randomness of the LAN configurations, is it possible that sooner or later there will be a LAN setup that is simply un-hackable? Thanks
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Well if they are out of reach they may be another way onto them, there should be information about how to connect on one of the PCs on the lan. As far as making them un hackable, I don't know how much, if any checking is done to see if the lans can be hacked as is, so it could be possible.
tynan
level1
level1

Postby tynan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:04 am

Well, I guess technically they are not "physically" out of reach, in that there is a single line connecting each lock to each of the other 3 locks (2 Subnets and 1 Iso Bridge). The problem is I cannot connect to those remaining locks even though there is a physical connection to them. And when I scanned the whole LAN, there was no other system shown to control any of those Main Server locks. It's as if they have no controllers, but yet they still secure the Main Server.
I decided to get another LAN mission and guess what? Exact same 3-lock configuration for the Main Server. I can hack everything except those last 3 locks. It simply won't let me connect to them.
My conclusion is the Devs didn't want to make it too "easy" for players to hack LANs, so they basically hard-coded Main Server locks to require LAN Force (which 100% causes a countdown to getting booted by the Admin hunting you). Just a thought, but I don't see how I can have enough time to copy a database once the Admin starts his hunt. If anyone has managed to complete a LAN mission while being hunted, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:55 pm

First off, check all of the terminals. There may be a phone number or alternative access into the LAN which might help. Second, my recollection is that once a lock is forced, it remains unlocked, even if you log out then log back on again, so you might be able to force the locks, disconnect, then reconnect again. Finally, you don't have to copy the entire database on a single try. You can copy one block, disconnect, rinse, repeat until everything is downloaded. Beyond that, there are some other tricks that you can try, but you are going to have to figure those out for yourself---that is, after all, half of the point of the game.

Return to “Hints and Tips”