Passive Trace Questions

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

beamer159
level0

Passive Trace Questions

Postby beamer159 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:23 am

I have a few questions about passive traces:

1: What starts a passive trace? I'm pretty sure that an active trace starts a passive trace, but can anything else start one? If I'm using a monitor bypass and hack into a system without activating the active trace (like a bank), will I be clear of a passive trace as well?

2. If companies start passive traces when they notice suspicious activity, at what point does this occur? Taking a bank as an example, I can connect to the bank, then I can click on "Administrator," then I can clear the 3 security measures, then I can access the administrator's account. What point in these steps would cause a passive trace? Or is it just when an active trace triggers?

3: If I use a certain company's system as a node in my bounce chain, could that company get suspicious of the bounce log that I leave and start a passive trace there?

4: Do I have to worry about passive traces from phones that I call, or can I safely connect to them directly?

5: How long is a typical bounce chain? I honestly have no idea if I should go crazy and add every single node possible or what...
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:19 am

It's been a while, I'll try to answer, but it may be inexact or totally wrong.

1) & 2) I think a AI agent will try to follow your logs about 1 hour after the system was cracked.

3) No

4) No need to worry

5) Simply check how much time the active trace will take to resolve and then add nodes until you are comfortable with that number. For my part, I think I added between 10-20 nodes. If you add nodes where you have accounts, like the banks, the trace will be longer.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch

Return to “Hints and Tips”