Need some help with uplink

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Fluiq
level0

Need some help with uplink

Postby Fluiq » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:25 am

Ok, I have been playing this game for 12 hours now.
Only got caught once way at the beginning.
Second try I got really far without ever getting caught.

I got the email from the dead agent, but the mission was too hard and I accidentally deleted it.
So I just continued with the standard missions.
Until I came across a mission to check somebody's bank transfer log.
I saw somebody received a huge amount of money from the guy I was hacking.
So I wrote down the bank account details, finished the mission, hacked the account.
I have no idea how much money there was in that account, but buying the most expensive gateway/hardware and software didn't seem to have a lot of impact on the amount.

So basically I went from the second to weakest gateway, to the most powerful gateway with the most powerful hardware with 1 hack.

So now I'm able to do every mission with ease, just load all the bypassers, make sure I delete every log etc, no worries.

Now I started doing missions for fun and destroying servers, hacking into the uplink server and stealing data etc.

But something really bothered me,
That was when I came upon a mission where I had to get somebody arrested (by framing him)
It said they'd check if he was arrested and if he was, my mission would be done.
Now instead of framing him, I just changed his criminal records to get him arrested.
Did that, waited for the news of his arrest to arrive.
Replied to the message.
Now I get a message back saying he has not been arrested yet, when clearly the news says he is.

This annoyed me cause, how the hell do they know I haven't framed him.
All they said they'd check for is the news.
They got the news, so whats the problem.

Is there a mod or a patch that fixes this?
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:50 pm

By the way you have written it, you have only given him a a criminal record and not framed him, there is a difference,

take a look here

this gives advice on how to frame someone, what you did was for the 'ruin life' mission, similar thing but done in different ways.

Atually also what was the specific crime, what is computer crime, bank fraud or data destruction, as each one requires different methods
Fluiq
level0

Postby Fluiq » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:08 pm

it said I should frame him, and then they would check if he was arrested.
So I just got him arrested trough the GDC, and it in the news its says he is arrested.
Then I reply the email and the email I get back says, he hasn't been arrested.

It just annoyed me, how the hell would they know I haven't framed him if it says on the news he has been arrested for hacking.

Also another person asked me to track a hacker down, I just gave them a bogus name.
I get a reply back that its not him but the person who the money has been transfered to, I get that with every name.
If they already know who it is, why should I help them trace a guy they already know.

I know it would be too easy if you could just blame everyone for the hacking.
But so is finding a bank account with a huge amount of money and getting away with it.
(bank hacking is quite easy if you prepare it right).

I was just hoping there is a mod which adds this.
Or at least changes the text so it makes more sense.

(Don't get me wrong I love this game, but at times I'm not sure whats the point, I can't get to the main mission, and I can hack almost anything with ease now. maybe I just was unfortunate to find a HUGE amount of money like that)

Hmm, maybe I should just make my main mission to destroy the internet.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:46 pm

what was the mission specifically, as i said there are three different types of framing, also what version are you running, and if you updated did you create a new character afterwards?
Fluiq
level0

Postby Fluiq » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:46 pm

I'm running the newest version (on steam).

Just testing the games limits.
And o yeah, nevermind about the first thing, they did also want data destroyed I know why it didn't complete the mission.
(I also read it partially wrong because I was tired).

It would be better if he'd say mission not completed yet, instead of ... is not arrested yet.
Guess I should just fix that myself, now I think of it, wouldn't be too hard.

Same goes for ... is the person who received the money but is not the hacker responsible (not the actual quote but something like that).
even though it does say that for every person you give to them.
(And they know the name is not the hacker, why would they need you if they already know who its not, if they know who its not then they must know who it is).

Like I said, no bug just game rules I don't understand.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:36 pm

yeah that is one of the things about this game, with stuff like that, the best thing to do is just go with it, and if you like make up your own version of events that mean they know who did or did not do the hack
Fluiq
level0

Postby Fluiq » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:48 pm

Yea I should accept the game I guess,
the fbi mod seems interesting though but is there a fbi mod for the newest version?

I also bought Defcon and Darwinia on the steam sale this week.
Also I have bought Hacker Evolution.

So I'm not sure which game to play.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:07 am

no, I dont think any mod is for the recent version, there is one called onlink that gets ressurected from time to time but I dont know much about it.

And as for the others, it depends what mood, im not a big fan of defcon as i dont like war games, but I kind of like darwinia, even though it can get a bit hard.
Fluiq
level0

Postby Fluiq » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:48 pm

orillian wrote:no, I dont think any mod is for the recent version, there is one called onlink that gets ressurected from time to time but I dont know much about it.

And as for the others, it depends what mood, im not a big fan of defcon as i dont like war games, but I kind of like darwinia, even though it can get a bit hard.

I tried Defcon and Hacker Evolution today.

I played Hacker Evolution for a short time, but the tracing was weird.
I did kind of like the story though and the command line interface.

I also tried Codelink V2 which looked a lot better, but I got stuck.
(haven't heard much about this game and the community is quite small, but it looks good).

Tried Defcon, I played it with a friend (not multiplayer).
We did the tutorial mission, but didn't have much time, and it was quite slow so we quit.
I'm not sure if I enjoy war games either, I like bombing stuff, but I'm not quite strategic.

I really enjoy these hacker games, I didn't like the other ones I've read about and tried as much as uplink.
I hope codelink is good, I haven't had much time to try it, and I couldn't figure out how to disconnect from a "satnet?"
Exosyphen Studios specializes in hacking games, they've made a lot of hacking games before hacker evolution, but unfortunately discontinued.

I kind of stopped playing uplink when I got that money, I felt like, I got all this money, and the best computer, why would I do anything for anybody.
That feeling kind of ruined the game for me.
So I was kind of sad to see there were so little mods, like mods that make the game more balanced.

But thanks anyway,
FBI mod seemed coolest but never got updated for the newest version.
I tried onlink but for some reason it lagged at random points (Like a complete freeze for a second).
Gate420
level1
level1

WHen they are asking you to trace a hacker

Postby Gate420 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:19 am

They probably know who did it but they haven't got the proof and they need you to verify that it is who they suspect and get them proof well at least that is the way I take it its the same as those missions you can't accept cause they are tracking you they suspect you but need proof.
Last edited by Gate420 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:01 pm

no, if the mission was to track you then you would not be allowed to take the mission, I know there is a plot hole there and a missing chance to frame someone else, but thats just the way the game is
Gate420
level1
level1

Hey

Postby Gate420 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:14 am

orillian wrote:no, if the mission was to track you then you would not be allowed to take the mission, I know there is a plot hole there and a missing chance to frame someone else, but thats just the way the game is

Not sure what you read on my post (but maybe it was my typo that I just corrected I had an error where accept is it read except) but that is what I said its the same as the missions you can't accept cause they suspect you and need proof.
I am not sure what plot hole you mean but when they are asking you to frame a user or something it usually because they know who did it but don't have the proof and they want you us to get that proof or bypass getting the proof and jailing them.
Leoran
level0

Postby Leoran » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi!

I have some problems with the game. Maybe I am the noob, but I can not delete the log files. How can I do it? And how can I delete some files from my computer? I cannot steal files, 'cause the winchester of my computer is full. Please help. :(

Return to “Hints and Tips”