Passive traces.

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

cst1992
level1
level1

Passive traces.

Postby cst1992 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Suppose I rob a bank.I cannot be traced actively because I have bypassed the security.(It happens in banks; if I bypass all three measures, they don't active trace me) then i log out, but don't delete any logs. Naturally, a passive trace starts.
As mr_anonymous says :
mr_anonymous wrote:Any time you hack a server of any kind (except for the Uplink Test Machine and InterNIC), a passive trace will start. This means that some hacker is trying to trace your connection and bounce logs to find you. Banks have a very fast passive trace (say, 2-3 minutes, max). Other servers are slower.

a trace by a bank is quite fast. So, does the black screen appear instantly as I am traced, or after some time (the hacker informs employer, employer informs uplink, uplink kicks me off)? This may explain why some people clear logs but still get caught.
Any help greatly appreciated.
My question is because this is still just a game.
Long-returning member
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Why don't you just try hacking a bank, transferring some money, and seeing how long the trace takes?
cst1992
level1
level1

Postby cst1992 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:38 pm

mr_anonymous wrote:Why don't you just try hacking a bank, transferring some money, and seeing how long the trace takes?

Thank you mr_anonymous, but how will I tell the difference ?
My guess will be that when the employer tells Uplink of the hack then the black screen is there(to tell me I'm no longer an Uplink Agent.)
But then, I'll never be able to tell-if the logs are not immediately cleared- that I'm safe or not. The bounces will give me some time until the hacker reaches upto the InterNIC log.

My point is that even if a person clears the InterNIC log, If the other hacker has already traced through that log, the end is near; If then the hacker informs the employer, and the employer informs Uplink; this procedure will also take a while and will fool us into believing that the "clearing of log" method has failed outright.
Our only chance is then the Motion sensor which will inform us of Federal agents, but that too, is ineffective as we will be totally unaware that we are traced, and most people DON'T keep the sensor on at all times.
Long-returning member
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:49 am

lets put it this way, when you get the black screen, you can log back onto that agent to see who caught you and why, if for example you did a bank hack and you cleared the logs, but get the black screen, log back on to see if it is the bank, and not something from an earilier crime, if it is the bank, then you know that you didnt delete the logs fast enough

and the sensor is not in effective, combined with the nuke it is an expensive but usually guaranteed way to avoid detection, if you dont want to repurchase your files do what they do in the real world, backups
cst1992
level1
level1

Postby cst1992 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:35 am

orillian wrote:lets put it this way, when you get the black screen, you can log back onto that agent to see who caught you and why, if for example you did a bank hack and you cleared the logs, but get the black screen, log back on to see if it is the bank, and not something from an earilier crime, if it is the bank, then you know that you didnt delete the logs fast enough

and the sensor is not in effective, combined with the nuke it is an expensive but usually guaranteed way to avoid detection, if you dont want to repurchase your files do what they do in the real world, backups

Thanks that'll help. And by ineffective I meant that the sensor is installed but not run by some people sometimes
Long-returning member
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:26 pm

not everyone does everything, mainly personal preference, you cant tell people what to do

Return to “Hints and Tips”