Stuck on a delete mission

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

keen320
level0

Stuck on a delete mission

Postby keen320 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:28 pm

I'm supposed to hack a computer and delete all files AND backups. I went to the computer and proceeded to delete everything. When I sent the Mission complete e-mail, it said I wasn't done yet. So i looked up the company's other computer's. One's public access and therefore has no files. Another is a LAN and is currently impregnable to me, so I don't think the files are there for a level 5 mission. That leaves a mainframe and one other server. The Mainframe requires a voice key, I'm wondering if i should get Voice analyzer 1 or 2. The other SHOULD be easy to hack, but for some reason my password breaker doesn't work. I try it on the password box, and then it fills the user box with ADMIN and doesn't do anything else.

Help, please?
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:57 pm

if memory serves the best thing to do is to do the delete in the command line, I dont think the game counts it if you use the file page with a deleter, failing that just try crashing the whole server.

actually, also try waiting a while, about three hours, because the news of the hack will be reported to the uplink news board, and i think the company wants proof that the job is done via the news. so try waiting a few hours first then try what i reccomended before
Starwind
level0

Postby Starwind » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:30 am

I'm supposed to hack a computer and delete all files AND backups. I went to the computer and proceeded to delete everything. When I sent the Mission complete e-mail, it said I wasn't done yet.

To answer this question, after accessing the Admin and deleting the files through the console (type "cd usr" enter, type "delete" enter. You can delete your logs also this way by typing "cd log" enter, "delete" enter) Disconnect. Delete your logs from InterNIC, then go to the news server and speed up your time until you see a message about the company you just hacked and damage being done to the files. You can then reply to the mission e-mail.

I'm wondering if i should get Voice analyzer 1 or 2

I would get Version 2 because you can save your voices to your gateway by clicking the analyzer to one of your data slots after copying the voice you need. You may not need the analyzer for this mission, but you will later on.

The other SHOULD be easy to hack, but for some reason my password breaker doesn't work. I try it on the password box, and then it fills the user box with ADMIN and doesn't do anything else.

The only reason I can think of your password breaker doing this is because you are trying to log into not through the Admin. You need the person's account number in their name slot for the password breaker to work for hacking into someone else's account. For the mission you described though, all you should need to do is go in through the Admin.

Return to “Hints and Tips”