Bypass/Trace

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

markhyder
level2
level2

Bypass/Trace

Postby markhyder » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:17 am

When you bypass the monitor, Firewall and Proxy, Does the system do a trace on you half way into the hack?
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:56 pm

One of these days, you are going to learn to phrase your questions better, so that people can understand what it is that you really want to know...

There are two kinds of traces in Uplink: active and passive. The trace tracker picks up on the active trace, and tells you that you are being traced right at that moment. Normally, any time you connect to a server and attempt to break in, an active trace will start. The monitor bypass prevents that trace from starting until after you log in as admin. On any system in the game, once you log in as admin, an active trace will start.

Any time you hack a server of any kind (except for the Uplink Test Machine and InterNIC), a passive trace will start. This means that some hacker is trying to trace your connection and bounce logs to find you. Banks have a very fast passive trace (say, 2-3 minutes, max). Other servers are slower. There is nothing that you can do to prevent this trace from happening, but you can delete or alter logs to keep it from finding you.

The firewall and proxy bypassers have nothing to do with whether or not you get traced.

Finally, for future reference, a lot of the questions that you seem to be asked on these forums are answered in the Ultimate Uplink Guide. Read it.

Oh. One other note, with regards to your sig: the 90s called, and they want their ugly, advertisement rich site design back. Seriously... that's really awful. I hope you are getting paid by the impression, and not click-through, because... wow...
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:15 am

Dude, you made it disappear!
leon007
level1
level1

Postby leon007 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:32 am

That's some useful info to me.
THX mr_anonymous.
I don't even know Uplink Test Machine won't chase me by passive trace.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:42 am

errr actually the Uplink Test Machine will trace you, ever run the tutorial program and done it EXACTLY step by step as it tells you?
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:17 pm

orillian wrote:errr actually the Uplink Test Machine will trace you, ever run the tutorial program and done it EXACTLY step by step as it tells you?

It has been a while since I ran the tutorial with a version of Uplink beyond 1.3, so I suppose that things may have changed. However, in the past, the Uplink Test Machine would employ an active trace (i.e. the kind of trace that the trace tracker can warn you of), but would not passively trace a hack (i.e. no other hackers would go through the logs to track you down). So, unless newer versions have significantly altered the tutorial and the behaviour of the Uplink Test Machine (and I know that the tutorial, at least, as been tweaked), no passive trace will go after a person who hacks the Uplink Test Machine.

Which is what I said above.

EDIT: I just ran through the new tutorial. It specifically says that we don't have to worry about cleaning up logs on the Uplink Test Machine, because no one will trace us from there. So, no, there is no passive trace on the Uplink Test Machine.
keen320
level0

Postby keen320 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 pm

What is the point of Bypassers if you get Active traced for logging on anyway? Or do they only trace admin logon and not readwrite? Also, if you don't get an active trace, is there still a passive trace? And does using bypassers give you a chance to delete the logs at the source?

I'm asking all this because I only just got most bypassers.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:43 pm

tell you what instead of us telling you, go and learn for yourself,

modlink.net

got all the guides you need for anything uplink
keen320
level0

Postby keen320 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:58 pm

OK, looking BACK at modlink ( already been there before posting ) told me Q 1, Q2 and 3 I answered myself. But I can't find an answer my last question.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:30 pm

if you mean you could remove logs with out getting traced or whatever, you could, but chances are you would still get passive traced anyway, best thing to do is just to stick to using interNIC

Return to “Hints and Tips”