It's ridicolous how precise you have to be in your purchases

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

DrCl4w
level0

It's ridicolous how precise you have to be in your purchases

Postby DrCl4w » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:23 am

I've had to start over several times because I upgraded my terminal too fast or I didn't buy the HUD at the right time and didn't have any easier missions to get more credits from.

It's funny how how jobs start disappearing as soon as you upgrade something as simple as a CPU. Low level jobs shouldn't stop coming in because you upgraded. It also seems you have a choice between hacking bank accounts or downloading giant files because by the time you have the equipment necessary to do both they are low level and the jobs dry up.

It's flat out moronic the way this works and is really testing my patience. Am I missing something here?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:15 am

In short this game is not your normal game, you either get it right, or you fail. I for one think this is a good thing as a lot of modern games hand hold you the whole way through. That is never the case with Introversion games.

If you are having difficulties refer to the FAQ that is stickied, and the guide it links to.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
DrCl4w
level0

Postby DrCl4w » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:14 am

As a twelve year Ultima Online vet, I understand difficulty. This is not difficulty, but a fault in the game. You should not have to start over because of how linear a game is.

I eventually had to start robbing every account I looked up to get the credits needed to continue. Not easy with a level 4 setup (at least not for someone who is new to the game.) I now have a maxed out rig, but I should have been able to progress in the storyline to get it and not just hack banks, IMO.

Now I'm attempting LANs. This should be interesting.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: It's ridicolous how precise you have to be in your purch

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:27 am

DrCl4w wrote:It's funny how how jobs start disappearing as soon as you upgrade something as simple as a CPU. Low level jobs shouldn't stop coming in because you upgraded.

As far as I remember this doesn't happen. If anything the missions are based on your level not hardware. Besides, by the time you unlock higher level missions it becomes more time and cost effective to work on them, for example the missions which involve the academic database where you can do 10 missions in 1 hack. Once I've been able to stop wasting time doing the stealing or deleting a file missions I've never turned back.

If you have a problem with not enough missions have you tried fast forwarding time until more appear? Normally takes a while to repopulate the mission table
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
DrCl4w
level0

Postby DrCl4w » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:49 am

Credits aren't a problem now. I just started stealing from the accounts that got the "sizable donations" deposited in them.

Now I'm having problem finding the dialup number on this LAN so I can get the voice sample I need >_<
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:45 pm

And, because no one else has mentioned it yet, lower level missions do not become less common. When the game starts, the mission board is seeded with some number of missions, some of which are low level and accessible, others of which are high level, and hidden. As your reputation increases, the higher level missions become available. As time passes in game, more missions become available. Some of them are higher level, some of them lower level. The lower level missions will always trickle in, thus if you fast forward long enough, you will eventually get more missions. This might make it harder to get into the story missions, but they will come to you. Once you get the mechanics of what to buy and when, you can start a new game, and play through the story (assuming that you didn't get it right the first time).

As far as voices are concerned, is there any kind of public place where a company might put contact information for important people? You may be able to find something on InterNIC.
Zimmermana
level0

Postby Zimmermana » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:11 pm

mr_anonymous wrote:As far as voices are concerned, is there any kind of public place where a company might put contact information for important people? You may be able to find something on InterNIC.

Yes. Every company has a Public Access Server where you can add the system admin's phone number to your links. Took me a while to remember this when I started playing again after five years..!
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:28 am

Zimmermana wrote:
mr_anonymous wrote:As far as voices are concerned, is there any kind of public place where a company might put contact information for important people? You may be able to find something on InterNIC.

Yes. Every company has a Public Access Server where you can add the system admin's phone number to your links. Took me a while to remember this when I started playing again after five years..!

I am aware of that. I was trying to be subtle, so that the original poster would have the opportunity to figure out something for himself.
FourMoreErrors
level1
level1

Postby FourMoreErrors » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Zimmermana wrote:

Not EVERY company has one, Uplink do have one but there's just leads to you registering a agent. Thinking about it that seems quite realistic but annoying in the end as you can't hack Uplink's International Bank.

Also the secret company (IN-GAME) Introversion, they don't have one. But then again, that company is secret and partially is supposed to be a easter egg as it's hidden from InterNIC.
"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Jordan Peters

"Don't think outside the box...Think like there is no box."
- Unknown
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:38 pm

That's just nit picking. The basic content of his post was correct.
FourMoreErrors
level1
level1

Postby FourMoreErrors » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:27 pm

mr_anonymous wrote:That's just nit picking. The basic content of his post was correct.

Yeah, I guess.
"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."

- Jordan Peters

"Don't think outside the box...Think like there is no box."

- Unknown

Return to “Hints and Tips”