Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

dgsmith80
level1
level1

LAN Hack Admin to Quick

Postby dgsmith80 » Sun May 09, 2010 3:42 am

Hi All,

Firstly I apologise if this is on the server, but after extensive search of the forum and looking through the FAQ/Guide nothing helps with my specific situation.

I am performing a Trace down a Hacker mission, and the company that hired had a LAN, so I first had to hack there LAN and get onto the Main Server to get to the original log file (I followed the FAQ for that) which worked fine. I found the log and undeleted it, which pointed me to another system (Knight Computers).

So I bounce onto there servers and it's another bloody LAN (This hacker was good obviously lol). This time however it was a more complicated LAN, I have attached a screenshot. Basically the Main Server was right at the beginning of the LAN, but had 3 Guarded by Locks. After doing my thing around the LAN I got stuck so checked here and it looks like most people simply use LAN_Force on the Guarded By and then disconnect or reset to ditch the Admin. That is what I did and it worked fine. HOWEVER....

When I reconnect to the system, I can not connect to the Main Server, but the second I do the Admin gets alerted and comes after me I hardly even have time to run the Decypher or Password Cracker before he boots me let along get into the Log file find the logs and undelete it.

Now am I right in presuming he is catching me so quickly because the Main Server is so close on the LAN, or am I doing something wrong that means he gets alerted so soon.

Out of the 4 Terminals at the top of this Picture, when I select the very top one the 3 below it show "Valid Subnet" I read that this means I need to use LAN_Spoof, but I couldn't figure out how to use it and where. Should I be LAN_Spoof all 3 terminals before I try and connect to the Main Server, or where they to be Spoofed for the Guarded by Locks ?

Sorry if that is an overload of information but I am stuck and it is rather frustrating. Because this is my first mission which requires LAN work I don't want to abandon it I want to figure it out so I can continue tracing hackers and perform other LAN work.

Picture:

Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun May 09, 2010 9:39 am

Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
dgsmith80
level1
level1

Postby dgsmith80 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi Monty,

Thanks for the reply, but I had already read through those posts, and none of them helped with my specific situation. HOWEVER, I decided that as you guys are the experts and you bothered to reply I should re-read through them.

So this is the situation as I now see it.

I have totally unlocked all 3 of the "Guarded By" Locks, I can connect to the bottom two, by simple connect process, however the top one was the one I needed the LAN_Spoof for, but I have LAN_Forced all 3, and as FAQ's all say the locks do say open, when I now connect to them they show as DISABLED.

HOWEVER, I still have the same problem, the SECOND I connect to the Main Server I hear the Alarm sound (for the SysAdmin) and a Trace begins and no doubt the Admin logs in. Now because the Main Server is like the 2nd hop in this LAN he catches me before I can even finish logging in with the Decypher and Password Breaker (And I have a wicked fast CPU so it's not I'm being slow).

What else can I do or have I missed? I am tempted to buy the IRC Chat module so see if anyone is ingame that can help as it is frustrating the hell out of me. :(

I really appreciate if you could re-review my situation and see if there is any more specific advise you can give me. As I mentioned I have spent hours looking through the forums and FAQ's and whilst I appreciate it "might" be on here somewhere I am sure you guys could probably figure it out and put something in the post for me.

Thanks
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun May 09, 2010 10:37 pm

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... 748#431748
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... 666#431865

Also, if you have to use LAN_force make sure to disconnect rather than get kicked. If you get kicked the locks get re-enabled, same for the Main Server security.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
dgsmith80
level1
level1

Postby dgsmith80 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:38 pm

Thanks again dude,

I think the long and short of it is, that I need to spread my attack out across a few different connections. Get connected take out the Voice Print and Disconnect and then jump back on and hack the password (because the voice print should of been left open as I disconnected rather than being kicked?)

Also I might try the little trick of moving around on the LAN when the admin is coming, but as I need to be looking for the log files rather than waiting for logs to be deleted or console commands etc not sure it will work for me.

Either way all of this is null and void now as sadly my Motion Detector went RED so I quickly did a backup so that I could blow the Nuke, but I let myself get caught first to see why, and it was the Knight LAN they must of done a Passive Trace, which is odd as I cleared my logs, but I did get caught a LOT ! Anyway I reloaded and Nuked and then abandoned that mission fuck it :P

Hopefully my next LAN Mission will be more sucessful.

Return to “Hints and Tips”