Trace a Hacker or Transfer

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

ambelgra
level0

Trace a Hacker or Transfer

Postby ambelgra » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:07 am

I'm having difficulty with these tracing missions. I've read the guide at 'guide.modlink' yet, it seems like something's not working. The LOG-undeleter doesn't yield any results and when I lookup the IP address that's BEFORE the given timeframe, sometimes I get Public Access servers or central mainframes. Once I got a personal computer, sent the name of the owner to the bank that asked for the mission and they responded "this person isn't responsible".

Am I missing something? Also, one of my missions won't pay up, I did what was neccessary to finish it and when I hit send, no response (failure or success). Any suggestions?
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

Re: Trace a Hacker or Transfer

Postby Chad Mulligan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:22 am

ambelgra wrote:I'm having difficulty with these tracing missions. I've read the guide at 'guide.modlink' yet, it seems like something's not working. The LOG-undeleter doesn't yield any results and when I lookup the IP address that's BEFORE the given timeframe, sometimes I get Public Access servers or central mainframes. Once I got a personal computer, sent the name of the owner to the bank that asked for the mission and they responded "this person isn't responsible".

LogUndeleter + IPLookup should be sufficient. However, the chain might be permanently broken if you're trying well after the original hack, I think.

Central mainframes are indeed possible (and hackable), but PAX servers should not be part of the chain.

Am I missing something? Also, one of my missions won't pay up, I did what was neccessary to finish it and when I hit send, no response (failure or success). Any suggestions?

Are you replying directly to the mission e-mail and not typing in the address manually? And what type of mission is it?
"I tell you three times..."
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: Trace a Hacker or Transfer

Postby Montyphy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:26 am

ambelgra wrote:Am I missing something? Also, one of my missions won't pay up, I did what was neccessary to finish it and when I hit send, no response (failure or success). Any suggestions?

Based on you posts here, you're using an old version of Uplink which contained many bugs. Care to update us on the problem you were having in the topic I just linked.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
ambelgra
level0

Postby ambelgra » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks, Monty. I actually just went into the Windows Sounds panel and turned off the notification for "device disconnect", and the sound doesn't come anymore. I know that's sort of a blanket fix but it was all I could come up with.

I installed the new patch, or at least what I think is the new patch, version 1.5.

The mission that won't respond to my reply? I was replying directly to the mission message. Oddly enough, the company that hired me was ARC and I recieved that mission right before Arunmor wanted me to do ARC-Infiltrate. If that has anything to do with it, I'll abandon it, I'll deal with a ratings drop. But if it's a bug, well screw me.

The tracing missions? If I'm not mistaken, there's only one version of Log Undeleter and nothing comes up when I use it on a log. I always take the trace mission right from the top of the list as suggested. Maybe I'm following the wrong IP's, so I'll give it another shot.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:06 pm

ambelgra wrote:Thanks, Monty. I actually just went into the Windows Sounds panel and turned off the notification for "device disconnect", and the sound doesn't come anymore. I know that's sort of a blanket fix but it was all I could come up with.

I installed the new patch, or at least what I think is the new patch, version 1.5.

Well, where did you get the patch? From here? The newest version is 1.55

Did you create a new account after updating?

Also, you still haven't told us where you downloaded it from, that could be the source of problems.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “Hints and Tips”