"Our Esteemed colleague wishes to make a donation"

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Muhmaker
level0

"Our Esteemed colleague wishes to make a donation"

Postby Muhmaker » Tue May 13, 2008 6:23 pm

I've got a problem...
I have handled this mission type exactly as mentioned in the Uplink guide, it happened again and again that I get passively traced by the bank.
I transfer the money, delete the statement on that account, then i disconnect and delete my Internic logs, except for the "logged in"-log. Because of that I never got even close to the storyline missions... I'd really like to know what I do wrong. Banks seem to hate me in this game.
I use Bank accounts to bounce my connections all the time, could that be the problem? Or shouldn't i delete my other Internic logs saying "logged in" and "logged out"? You don't have to log on to the mission targets account and delete the statements too, do you?

Please help if you can, I'd really like to play the story...
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Tue May 13, 2008 9:57 pm

First off, you don't need to delete the transfer logs when you do a "donation" mission. In fact, I am fairly certain that if you delete the logs, the mission won't be completed. You need to delete the bounce logs from some system that you bounced through on the way to the bank. So, a minimal bank hack will look like this:
  • Bounce your connection through InterNIC, a few other systems, and arrive at the bank.
  • Hack the proper account at the bank, and transfer the money. Disconnect.
  • Connect to InterNIC, login as admin, and delete the logs there.

That is all you have to do. This is also exactly the method outlined in the [url=http://guide.modlink.net/section3.php#12]guide[url], which you claim to have read.
Muhmaker
level0

Postby Muhmaker » Tue May 13, 2008 11:31 pm

I did read it and I only deleted the statements too, because I'm getting busted by banks all the time and became pretty paranoid about them. Maybe they got me for something else, but I really can't figure out for what. On my latest Attempt I only did two transfer missions and never touched bank servers (except for making accounts to bounce through) just to get busted by one of them some time later on.
I'm wondering if they used one of my bounces to find me, but I use Internic as first bounce point everytime and delete all my logs except the one saying that I established the connection after each and every job.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Wed May 14, 2008 9:02 pm

its possible they are getting you for something, best thing to try is to wait, do no missions and run the fast speed for a while, if they still catch you then it is something you did earlier and if you dont have 24 hours to spare to install a gateway sensor and nuke then all i can suggest is a restart
Xeneonic
level0

Postby Xeneonic » Tue May 27, 2008 9:48 pm

The uplink guide worked absolutely fine for me, just one (LAME) thing:

You can't do it for yourself. hack into an account and put it on your own (Even transferring through multiple accounts). You get busted all the time, using log deleter 4.0 on everything remotely immaginable.

I once had a mission where I had to transfer a whopping 650.000 credits, I looked into that account and it had 1.150.000 or about that anyway, obviously I wanted to abandon the mission and claim that money for myself, this has been impossible, as I always got caught.

The developers should definitely fix this, it wouldn't be realistic to be able to transfer for a mission, but impossible to do it for yourself.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue May 27, 2008 10:00 pm

If you follow the guide properly on bank hacking (not for missions, juts for yourself) you don't get caught, and hence nothing needs to be fixed.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Scopus
level0

Postby Scopus » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:29 am

Xeneonic wrote:The uplink guide worked absolutely fine for me, just one (LAME) thing:

You can't do it for yourself. hack into an account and put it on your own (Even transferring through multiple accounts). You get busted all the time, using log deleter 4.0 on everything remotely immaginable.

I once had a mission where I had to transfer a whopping 650.000 credits, I looked into that account and it had 1.150.000 or about that anyway, obviously I wanted to abandon the mission and claim that money for myself, this has been impossible, as I always got caught.

The developers should definitely fix this, it wouldn't be realistic to be able to transfer for a mission, but impossible to do it for yourself.

I believe the problem you're having is you're only deleting your bounce logs. You also need to delete the logs from the bank statements of both accounts when you're wiping out someone's account. That means both their statement showing they sent the funds to your account, and your statement showing that you received the funds from their account.

They both contain both account numbers, therein lies the problem. These hacks are much more dangerous because you have three sets of logs that need to be deleted, and therefore three potential disasters when forgotten.
Chad Mulligan
level2
level2

*shrug* Has a point.

Postby Chad Mulligan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:28 am

It is silly that the bank transfer records only result in arrests and mission failure when it's the player who's received the money. Or that a bank will cheerfully not notice that 1+M credits have arrived in somebody's account without a matching amount of credits in terms of logged transactions.

However, there are much larger continuity/realism problems, such as how the plot can continue even if you methodically examine every bank account in the game to identify Uplink agents (including the few missing from a certain database) and then systematically get them all thrown in jail (which is doable, if extremely tedious).
"I tell you three times..."

Return to “Hints and Tips”