System not open to external connections?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Sylar
level0

System not open to external connections?

Postby Sylar » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:37 pm

Hi again, sorry another question!
I'm trying to do a 'destroy scientific research currently in progress' mission, which I've done a few times before, but every time I try to connect with the Moon technology local area network, I get the message:

External router accessed
System not open to external connections
and some other stuff about my IP being logged etc.

I've tried bouncing from a server owned by the same company to the same effect.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks a lot guys!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:15 am

My guess is that you're not using LAN software.
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:41 am

You can only connect to the LAN through a "trusted location". IE: One that would normally BE connected to their LAN.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:46 am

As Mas has stated, it's probably just that they haven't opened the LAN HUD extension; I don't think you actually do need to connect from a system owned by the same company as with mainframes - consider the Sample LAN, which has no other associated systems.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:48 am

True, but i never logged that LAN myself. I just always assumed they were under the same rules as a Central DBase
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:11 pm

CyberGenesis wrote:True, but i never logged that LAN myself. I just always assumed they were under the same rules as a Central DBase

Stop making assumptions when answering people's questions. When you connect to a LAN, you see the message that Sylar describes. All you have to do is bring up the LAN viewer, and continue. That message basically just tells you that you have successfully connected to a LAN, and that you need to hit the LAN view button. You DO NOT have to connect to a LAN from a trusted location (unless, again, there is something very different between the latest Mac version (1.3) and the latest Windows version (1.5)).

How do I know this? Before I posted, I actually spent 2 minutes to load up Uplink, connect to the Sample LAN, and give it a try. That is what I do when I post a comment that directly contradicts a comment posted by someone else. Try it out. If you are going to contradict what someone else is saying, don't assume. Test. Otherwise, the advice that you are giving is useless.
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:48 pm

And the opinions of both Mas and KingAl mean more than a guy with 4 posts ^^ Excuse me for subscribing to the belief that you can't connect to something that only allows connection from internal sources from the outside. So quit being a wench and let me be wrong...Al and mas can prove me wrong themselves

And i can't TEST jack when i don't have access to the game. It's called a job...a really boring job...so i net surf
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:00 am

CyberGenesis wrote:And the opinions of both Mas and KingAl mean more than a guy with 4 posts ^^ Excuse me for subscribing to the belief that you can't connect to something that only allows connection from internal sources from the outside. So quit being a wench and let me be wrong...Al and mas can prove me wrong themselves

And i can't TEST jack when i don't have access to the game. It's called a job...a really boring job...so i net surf

Yeah... the fact that I don't post very often on the Uplink boards does not mean that I don't know what I am talking about. So, you are one of those assholes that thinks that post counts matter. In that case, my e-penis is much larger than yours -- I have over 8000 posts.

If you can't test, then don't confuse newbs by posting information that contradicts that which is posted by people who obviously know what they are talking about. You did it to mr_anonymous regarding log deletion, and you are doing it again here.

xander
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 am

*deletes*

EDIT: No, i won't continue this here. If you have an issue, then PM it, but whining because some people subscribe to the notion that with as much thought that went into this game as there was that logic would hold a place in it...is pointless
Puce Moose
level0

Postby Puce Moose » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:59 am

If you can afford it , use a LAN spoof.
Mooses rock but you, good Sir, suck.
Krell
level2
level2

Postby Krell » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:02 am

Puce Moose wrote:If you can afford it , use a LAN spoof.

What's a LAN Spoof got to do with it?

Again, as Mas said, all Sylar needs to do is purchase the HUD upgrade for LANViewer, and buy the other LAN software bits too. That's the only way you'll EVER get past that welcome screen. It's a Local Area Network, so by definition it will not be directly open to external connections....it'll be routed through the router!

That message always appears, it's just an interesting way of saying, "Hey! You're gonna have to try a different approach to hack me!"

LANs do not fall under the "company rule" like Central Mainframes do, I've done "external" LAN hacks plenty of times.

The horse is dead, long live the horse!
InterNIC: Created to save agents everywhere
Puce Moose
level0

Postby Puce Moose » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:14 pm

You use the LAN spoof to fool the Lan into thinking you are part of the system, therefore allowing you to explore the system :idea:
Mooses rock but you, good Sir, suck.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:38 pm

No, that's not how you use a lan spoof at all.

1) Connect to the lan normally, like you would any system.

2) Open up lan view HUD.

3) Use the lan probe and lan scan.

4) Progress from there.

You can use the lan spoof, to spoof a locked system for example on the lan.

As for Xander and CyberGenesis. Xander is well known and been around a while. CyberGenesis....no clue who you are, and you're giving incorrect information. Not a good mix.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ

Return to “Hints and Tips”