Best early upgrade?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Sylar
level0

Best early upgrade?

Postby Sylar » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:55 pm

I've just reached intermediate level, and so consequently the 5 and 6 difficulty missions. I'm regularly running out of time though as they trace me in about 60 - 80 seconds, which isn't enough time to break the password, disable the proxy and firewall, and delete the logs.
I haven't upgraded by system at all yet though - only the Hud: connection analysis.
What are the best ways to spend credits early on? Which upgrades are the most vital?
Again, thanks a lot for all your help.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:12 pm

1. There is no reason to delete the logs on the system that you hack. It is more effective to delete the logs at one of your bounce points. Say, InterNIC.
  2. The proxy and firewall disablers are slow. Better to get the bypassers. However, if you are still using the disablers, you can buy some time -- don't start hacking the password until the disablers set off the trace.
  3. Get (a) faster processor(s). This will dramatically decrease the time it takes to get through security. If you don't have the money for that, spend some time doing lower level missions to earn that money, if the higher level missions are too hard, or demand payment up front. If you are refused, don't take the mission. Then, demand payment upfront for the same mission again. Keep doing that until they pay you.

In terms of spending credits, I generally do the following: first, I get the basic software that I need for low level missions -- password cracker, trace tracker, and a level 4 log deleter. After that, I tend to get more memory and a faster proc. Then, more software -- i.e. HUD connection analysis and the bypassers, and decypher (again, all at the highest level -- don't waste your money on lower level stuff). After that, you should be able to do just about any mission that doesn't require the LAN stuff, so you should be able earn plenty of money to upgrade your Gateway, which is the next priority.

However, you really do need to get a sense of what works for you.
CyberGenesis
level2
level2

Postby CyberGenesis » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:09 am

My usual order is:

From start of game
Password Cracker
Tracer Tracker V4
HUD Analysis
Monitor Bypass (balance/loan checking hacks)
Proxy Bypass (trace a balance transfer - I always steal the 'large sum' after)
Firewall Bypass (low level server destroys seem to need this a lot)
Voice Analysis (Database hacks)

Then when i either have the cash from a bank hack or i hit the LAN hack for the storyline i start buying the LAN software.

Return to “Hints and Tips”