Lan missing frequency...?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

lassombra
level1
level1

Lan missing frequency...?

Postby lassombra » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:28 am

I've been trying to hack the Hummingbird LAN for a while now (almost 5 hours real time at it) and I've given up thinking I've missed something. I log into the lan, and probe and hack my way through the network, only to find myself at a wireless radio transmitter...

I need the frequency, so I hack EVERY SINGLE BOX OF ANY SORT on the LAN and I even go through and connect to the locks hoping I can get in and find out what the heck is going on. Nothing. There are no extra details anywhere.

Anyone who happens to know where I can find my frequency, or what the frequency is (though I'd rather have to find it at least) I'd appreciate it.

BTW... Are the LANs in Uplink fixed, or are they generated? If they are generated, then totally disregard this plean.

And before you say anything.... I've read the guides, I've used the search, I honestly need help. (I have hacked other lans, this one just seems to be missing it's frequency.)
You wake up to see a shadow receding.

You sit up to find a cold sweat revealing:

Lassombra was here.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:16 am

1) All companies bar ARC and Arumor are randomly generated each new user. Telling us the name means nothing.

2) Like companies, lans are randomly generated.

3) If you had read the guides, and used the search you would know what points one and two were going to be already, and thus not needed to post the topic.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
lassombra
level1
level1

Re: Lan missing frequency...?

Postby lassombra » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:41 pm

Rkiver wrote:3) If you had read the guides, and used the search you would know what points one and two were going to be already, and thus not needed to post the topic.
lassombra wrote:And before you say anything.... I've read the guides, I've used the search, I honestly need help. (I have hacked other lans, this one just seems to be missing it's frequency.)

Now, honestly. Are you just stupid, or did you forget to put your brain in this morning?

I appreciate the information that Lan's are randomly generated. I did NOT find that through search or the guides. I knew companies were randomly selected on user generation (they are NOT randomly GENERATED, but come from a predefined list.) Oh, and Rkiver, you don't need to reply to my future requests for help. Just pretend I don't exist, as other's are capable of providing the help and will actually respect my question enough to read the post and not just reply rudely to the first third.

Lassombra was here.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:03 am

lassombra wrote:I knew companies were randomly selected on user generation (they are NOT randomly GENERATED, but come from a predefined list.)

Only the company name come from a predefined list.

As for the frequency, I think you forgot to mention the most important information, the version of Uplink you run. Why don't you try all frequencies?
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
lassombra
level1
level1

Postby lassombra » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:17 am

sorry, I'm running 1.55

I haven't tried all frequencies out of a lack of patience for manually trying each frequency.

I have backed up my .usr file and am willing to submit it to introversion if this proves to be a bug. I will try the every frequency approach, but I'm going to have to build a bigger bounce list first, in case I screw up and trigger a passive trace (don't Lan's start a passive trace automatically every so often on people who have connected and didn't quickly disconnect? Or is that just real corporate networks, and not Uplink?)

I will let you know the results of that once I've hacked the entire LAN and can tell you where (if) the data is. I will also post screenshots later.

Finally, thank you for being civil, to the point, and helpful.

Lassombra was here.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:11 pm

Also of interest is the version of Uplink your agent was created in.
lassombra
level1
level1

Postby lassombra » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:13 pm

Agent was created in 1.55

Lassombra was here.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:01 pm

lassombra wrote:
Rkiver wrote:3) If you had read the guides, and used the search you would know what points one and two were going to be already, and thus not needed to post the topic.
lassombra wrote:And before you say anything.... I've read the guides, I've used the search, I honestly need help. (I have hacked other lans, this one just seems to be missing it's frequency.)

Now, honestly. Are you just stupid, or did you forget to put your brain in this morning?

I appreciate the information that Lan's are randomly generated. I did NOT find that through search or the guides. I knew companies were randomly selected on user generation (they are NOT randomly GENERATED, but come from a predefined list.) Oh, and Rkiver, you don't need to reply to my future requests for help. Just pretend I don't exist, as other's are capable of providing the help and will actually respect my question enough to read the post and not just reply rudely to the first third.

I did actually read the post, and strangely enough by reading the guides and using the search I found multiple strings confirming lans for the most part are randomly created, hence you get the odd one that is a dead end.

Now you're new here, so clearly you still have to find your feet. I flame people, it's what I do. I'm the resident guy with the flamethrower. I'm well known for it, and considered a bit of an asshole when I let loose. Now remember that you should read this. You're the new guy, and you've put a large target on your head.
lassombra
level1
level1

Postby lassombra » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:57 pm

I know you are the guy with the flamethrower.

That doesn't stop me from pointing out the clear stupidity of your posts.

Congratulations on finding the target. That's more than a lot of flamers could do. In my book, that makes you ok.

Lassombra was here.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:56 am

Rkiver generally only flames people who are being ignorant, stupid or rude. Try to avoid fitting in one of those categories.
lassombra
level1
level1

Postby lassombra » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:42 am

solved.... FINALLY, had to manually try every single frequency. Managed to do so without getting caught, and the mission has been completed. Is this a known problem that pops up from time to time or is it supposedly fixed making this something worthy of sending in a user file?

Lassombra was here.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:46 am

The odds of a lan actually having a radio gateway and the frequency not being on one of the computers is quite probably very very very very low. I know I have never encountered it. But then again I have never encountered a tornado, but they happen.

Return to “Hints and Tips”