The impossible Hack?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Shaitan
level0

The impossible Hack?

Postby Shaitan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:51 am

Hi Guys.

Before i go on further, i wish to state that i've fully read Icepick's guide and your FAQ at the top of this forum, and i think things look bleak, but i'm hoping i've missed something or there is something that can be done to help...

I'm on the Arunmor Mission "Infiltrate". So i'm merrily hacking away at the LAN, when i come across a modem connection, 2 actually, so i log off and reconnect at the modem. The NEXT thing on the LAN after the modem is the Main File Server. So i start to hack that too and i get booted by SysAdmin within seconds. I've made a few attempts at the hack and i'm always kicked off the LAN before i can even scroll down the file list, because the SysAdmin is logging in at the modem and has no LAN to navigate till he gets to where i am at the Main File Server.

From what i've read, you say you can't stop him; "work fast" is the tip given in your FAQ... but THAT fast is impossible. Any chance of slowing SysAdmin down or forcing him to log in at the router?

I really don't want to abandom mission, what happens when you abandon a Story Line mission anyway?

sorry, long post.

Many Thanks in advance.

-S-
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:58 am

Shaitan
level0

Postby Shaitan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:03 am

Not greatly helpfull, but thanks for the link.

Looks like i'm just screwed. I'm talking 10 seconds to do Voice Verification, Password Breaker and the copy 90Gq of data. I can't even start copying in that time. :x

Any idea what happens if you abandon a story line mission?

-S-
Leonaken
level3
level3

Postby Leonaken » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:05 am

Well, you can't abandon the mission, if you do you forfeit the storyline (I assume).

Are you bypassing the Monitor, Proxy, and/or Firewall before you procede to the Main Server once you're connected to the modem?
Immortius
level1
level1

Postby Immortius » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:31 am

1. After you've done the voice recogntion, you can disconnect from the system and reconnect, and the voice recognition will still have been passed. This resets the countdown.

2. After you've cracked the password once memorise it. Then you can just type it in.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:36 am

Immortius wrote:1. After you've done the voice recogntion, you can disconnect from the system and reconnect, and the voice recognition will still have been passed. This resets the countdown.

Kinda surprised frenchfrog hasn't fixed that. Must be a tricky fix.

Immortius wrote:2. After you've cracked the password once memorise it. Then you can just type it in.

You shouldn't need to memorise it. You should be able to click on it just below the name/password box.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Immortius
level1
level1

Postby Immortius » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:50 am

Montyphy wrote:You shouldn't need to memorise it. You should be able to click on it just below the name/password box.

Unless it was fixed with the last patch or it is a problem specific to my computer, only one password gets saved for a lan system. And given that they've hacked a terminal before to get the modem number that slot has been used.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:09 am

Immortius wrote:Unless it was fixed with the last patch or it is a problem specific to my computer, only one password gets saved for a lan system. And given that they've hacked a terminal before to get the modem number that slot has been used.

Ah, yes, you're right. The main computer on the LAN doesn't keep track of passwords. Shouldn't matter though since LAN passwords tend to be short and stupid.

Shaitan
level0

Postby Shaitan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:27 am

yeah, thanks guys. i'm doing all the bypassers and shizzle. and getting rid of voice verification will save me 5 seconds. I may try and do this one file at a time. :? still gonna be tough.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:43 am

Once the admin has connected to the LAN while you're hacking the main computer have you tried looking at the LAN_Analyser/HUD view thingy? If you do, you'll notice a red line which represents the admin's progress. You'll also notice that its possible to change your position on the LAN without disconnecting from the main computer so long as you don't click "connect" while on a different terminal. If you keep changing your position the admin wont find you and thus can't disconnect you.

W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:33 pm

I don't know if this makes any difference, when you're on a lan (doubt it), but did you remember to make some bounce points? that might help you out, if it has any effect on how fast the sysadmin traces you.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:08 pm

That only affects the active trace. The sysadmin trace is separate.

W31RD0
level3
level3

Postby W31RD0 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:17 pm

okay. again, learned something new today.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...

Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
alex473x
level1
level1

Postby alex473x » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:12 am

W31RD0 Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:33 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this makes any difference, when you're on a lan (doubt it), but did you remember to make some bounce points? that might help you out, if it has any effect on how fast the sysadmin traces you.

Montyphy Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:08 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That only affects the active trace. The sysadmin trace is separate.

Are you sure about that? While I was doing a LAN mission I connected and got to the file server. The admin started tracing me and I didn't finish what I needed to do because he kicked me off. So I logged back on with the same bounces and the same connection to the file server on the LAN. The admin then kicked me off faster than before. So I connected again but I changed the bounces around and took the same LAN connection to the file server and the admin took longer to find and kick me off.....well except he didn't kick me off this time because I finished what I was doing and was able get off before hand. Irrelevant info though. Does that mean the bounces are relevant to how long it takes the admin to boot you from the LAN?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:59 am

The number of bounces you make on the LAN is what affects how long it takes the Sysadmin to trace you. The number of bounces on the map is what affects how long it takes for an active trace.

Return to “Hints and Tips”