I keep getting framed every few days!

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Stormhpoenix
level0

I keep getting framed every few days!

Postby Stormhpoenix » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:53 pm

Its got to the point where I've given up in frustration - Im doing the Arunmor missions, and I just finished the 2nd one. Covered my tracks well blah blah blah, 5 mins later I have to blow up my gateway. Oh well I thought, guess I didnt cover em very well. Bought a new one, 5 mins later get nailed by Uplink for getting caught. WTF? I havent even hacked anything yet. So I check what Im accused of hacking and its a system I not even been to. So I reload from backup, hack that system and theres no logs pertaining to me at all, so I wipe em anyway, and still get nailed for the hack. so this time I just let them have it, rebuy another gatway, 5 mins later I get nailed AGAIN for another frame!

This is impossible, I cant keep buying a new gateway every 5 mins, isnt there a way to prevent youreself getting framed?
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:44 am

Yes...DELETE YOUR LOGS IMMEDIATELY AFTER EVERY HACK! AND ALWAYS USE LOG DELETER v4.0!

You may have been too slow to clean up the logs from hacking that system (the one that keeps busting you). I've never head of an NPC deliberately framing a player, so it must have been from an earlier hack that you forgot about.

Does your gateway have a motion sensor? Reload your backup and turn on the sensor. Also activate the nuke, but *don't* set it off yet. Wait for the sensor light to go red, then nuke away. You've probably been nuking the gateway too early.

If you still can't get past 5 minutes, then you'll need to restart since the backup will have the NPC already finished tracing you and Uplink about to dissavow.
Stormhpoenix
level0

Postby Stormhpoenix » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:58 am

Mr. Roboto wrote:Yes...DELETE YOUR LOGS IMMEDIATELY AFTER EVERY HACK! AND ALWAYS USE LOG DELETER v4.0!

I do...

Mr. Roboto wrote:You may have been too slow to clean up the logs from hacking that system (the one that keeps busting you).

Never been to the system that busted me in the entire game.

Mr. Roboto wrote:I've never head of an NPC deliberately framing a player, so it must have been from an earlier hack that you forgot about.

Nope, idnt hack anyone for about a week of game time before I got busted. PLus i never hacked that computer before.

Mr. Roboto wrote:Does your gateway have a motion sensor? Reload your backup and turn on the sensor. Also activate the nuke, but *don't* set it off yet. Wait for the sensor light to go red, then nuke away. You've probably been nuking the gateway too early.

Hardly. The game auto-slows down when the light goes red. I nuke it, buy a new one, then within 5 mins i'm busted again.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:14 am

wtf, you say you get busted by a system you've never touched?
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Stormhpoenix
level0

Postby Stormhpoenix » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:00 am

Yeah... and when i get a new gateway, in a day or two i get busted again even if ive not hacked anything. I swear, ARC is setting me up.
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:38 am

Stormhpoenix wrote:Yeah... and when i get a new gateway, in a day or two i get busted again even if ive not hacked anything. I swear, ARC is setting me up.

ARC framing you? I don't think that's possible. At least I haven't heard of it nor seen it when I play.

You must have missed something in a previous hack, something prior to the the 2nd Arunmor mission. Think back...
  • Do you remember any missions where you got the message "Connection terminated by remote host"?
  • Does the company's name sound familiar? Exactly what system was involved (Mainframe, ISM, bank)?
  • Have you tried to frame someone ("Frame a user for data destruction/bank fraud")?
  • Have you done any LAN missions yet? If so, were you caught by the admin?
  • Have you destroyed any mainframes? Did you delete your logs from InterNIC after a system destruction?
  • After you tried to use the dead agent's info to break into ARC's mainframe, did you delete your logs afterwards?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. I just want to be certain that we've covered all the bases.
Stormhpoenix
level0

Postby Stormhpoenix » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:09 pm

[quote="Mr. Roboto"]

[*]Do you remember any missions where you got the message "Connection terminated by remote host"?

Nah, I've never been caught by an active trace, I use 30+ admin account bounce chains.

[*]Does the company's name sound familiar? Exactly what system was involved (Mainframe, ISM, bank)?

It was Neoware Central Mainframe. Never hacked that system before.

[*]Have you tried to frame someone ("Frame a user for data destruction/bank fraud")?

Only once, and that was weeks befroe I started the storylines.

[*]Have you done any LAN missions yet? If so, were you caught by the admin?

Done a few LAN missions, never been caught though.

[*]Have you destroyed any mainframes? Did you delete your logs from InterNIC after a system destruction?

About 20 hehe. I delete my logs as a matter of course from InterNIC after everything I do, I even connect to Uplink through internic and delete the logs :P

[*] After you tried to use the dead agent's info to break into ARC's mainframe, did you delete your logs afterwards?[/list]

I dont think I did - I don't think they email you if they dont know who broke in. That would account for the first bust if thats the case, but I think now they know my gateway IP, they are using it to put me away for good.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:34 pm

You cannot get framed. Uplink does not do that. If you are playing someones mod, then that may change, but as it is you just aren't being careful enough.

1) Lots of bounce points.

2) Disconnect before the countdown reaches 25 seconds.

3) Go straight to Internic, log in, delete the bounce log AND the password accepted log. Leave the connection and disconnection ones as is. Don't bother bouncing to Internic through anything else.

4) If hacking banks, remember to delete statements also.

You aren't doing one of those 4.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
coldhand
level1
level1

Postby coldhand » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:04 pm

Sounds like a real nightmare, all the advice above is valid but u dont have to delete the log when u use the dead mans id to enter ARC i left mine and got all the way to the last mission and got shutdown by revelation. GUTTED!! :roll:
I can only offer one more insight as its happened to me in the past. Sometimes when using log deleter V4 if u cancel the log deleter before its finished moving the files it leaves a blank space, I tried using the log undeleter to bring it back but had no joy then soon get caught for hacking. If this has happend to u i dont think theres anyway round it so give it up and start a fresh. While ur at it why not download Onlink as u have to start a new user when u start it and its got some cool new tools.
Everyone that wants to learn how you must act on a forum or just want to laugh, watch this movie
click here for very useful uplink guide
D3adKl0wn
level2
level2

Postby D3adKl0wn » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:41 pm

i dunno about being framed, but i just got caught when i dind't get traced at all... i was playing the FBI mod and was bank hacking with the proper bypassers and junk, and as i was carring on my merry way, i got the game over screen.. but not for hacking the bank

here's the thing.. if i'm using the monitor and the proxy bypassers (both max level) and i wasn't getting activly or passivly traced how did this happen...

to make the best of it tho.. i re-loaded a backup user file from right before i went bank hacking and fast-forwareded time for like 2 weeks (game time obviously) and nothing popped up saying that i got caught...

the game is evolving and is framing us !! lol

Return to “Hints and Tips”