reporting bank hackers

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

malcontent
level1
level1

reporting bank hackers

Postby malcontent » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:59 pm

How do you reply to a company that has hired you to find out who hacked in to their bank account?
Muji
level2
level2

Postby Muji » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:55 pm

You reply with the name.

Click on reply, then just type in the name. Or maybe you have to click on the e-mail itself first, and/or scroll down... but I don't think so.

Just write the name of the guy, and send.

Should do it.
malcontent
level1
level1

Postby malcontent » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:29 pm

I've managed to sort that out but I have a new problem. I gave the nameof the account holder but unfortunately the employer says that although the money is in the particular account, it is not the thief. Furthermore I can not find any traces of the money being moved out of that particular account.
Muji
level2
level2

Postby Muji » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:37 pm

Maybe it wasn't moved out of, but instead moved into?
malcontent
level1
level1

Postby malcontent » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:16 pm

Uh, what?

The money transfer was traced from the original owners account to the ccount in question. The employer says that they are not responsible so I try another aproach. I decided to trace the computer of the person who effected the transfer. I checked accross 2 computers and found a third which the connectionhad been bounced from (i-Squared internal services). I hacked it and checked the logs. There was no trace of a bounce on the data which the hack occured and furthermore, there were no access logs which indicated that the log had been deleted. Help!
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:21 pm

malcontent wrote:Uh, what?

The money transfer was traced from the original owners account to the ccount in question. The employer says that they are not responsible so I try another aproach. I decided to trace the computer of the person who effected the transfer. I checked accross 2 computers and found a third which the connectionhad been bounced from (i-Squared internal services). I hacked it and checked the logs. There was no trace of a bounce on the data which the hack occured and furthermore, there were no access logs which indicated that the log had been deleted. Help!

This is probably a stupid question, but did you try Log_UnDeleter on all the logs on the third machine?
Crime pays and it has an excellent benefits package.
Uplink Directory Dossier
pro_consul
level0

Postby pro_consul » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:22 am

First off, make sure you know whom you are after:

If the mission calls for you to report the name of the person who RECEIVED the money, then you hack the account that the money went into and view the account info. Report that name.

If the mission asks you to report the name of the hacker who executed the transfer, then go on with your log tracing. And the previous reply is correct - you want to undelete every log in order to expose any modified entries. Undelete is also an unMODifier.

If neither of these works - abandon the mission and move on.

Return to “Hints and Tips”