Hacking the ARC Lan

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

istara
level0

Hacking the ARC Lan

Postby istara » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:55 pm

The ARC Lan is my first ever LAN, and I realise I'm probably going to have to go and practise on something easier first.

However. I have all the equipment I could need at the best levels (I hacked a bank for a million credits a while back). I have been reading various guides and instructions and posts about LAN hacking. Unfortunately, I still don't quite get it.

I run LAN Scan and LAN Probe on the router and all the components appear. However, I can't connect to anything. If I click on something (eg the nearby Hub) a dotted line appears around it. But I can't seem to make any type of lines appear from me (presumably I am at this router?) to anything else. I press Connect in the right hand panel where it gives the details of each Lan thing, but nothing happens. I tried running spoof on the router, then on the hub, but still nothing.

Help!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:13 pm

You have to move step by step through the LAN. You can only connect to systems that are directly connected to the system you are on currently. That is they must have a line connected to them from the system you are on. Probing the system you are on will give you all the connections (lines) from it. :)
istara
level0

Postby istara » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:17 pm

That's just the problem: I have probed and scanned both the router and the hub, but no lines appear anywhere. There are no links, nothing.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:53 pm

That is a bug that has yet to be explained. In that event there is nothing to be done. :)
Shade of Blue
level2
level2

Postby Shade of Blue » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:24 pm

Yeah, word is that you're screwed.
Muji
level2
level2

Postby Muji » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:32 pm

Happened to me, that...

And if you search the forums (unless those old threads have been deleted), you'll find a few posts about it.

There's no fix for that which has been found.

Best thing that was suggested (and what worked for me) was just restart the game. Restart your comp if you have to.

All I know is that after a while, it started working again for me. Do it a few times if you have to.
istara
level0

Postby istara » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:40 am

Thanks for the advice - I'll try that.

By "restart your game" - you just mean Uplink, don't you? ie not a total new character? (Because I only just did that, after leaving the storyling so long! Not sure I could cope with doing it a third time in a week!)
Muji
level2
level2

Postby Muji » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:03 am

Yeah, I mean just the game itself (the software), you don't need to make a new caharacter in this case. :)

Return to “Hints and Tips”