GCD...

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Metroid
level0

GCD...

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:28 pm

The damn GCD, Am I missing something when I hack them? Everytime I hack them, I delete all the logs, cept the ones saying I logged on/off, and I always get caught anyway. Someone help...
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4

Re: GCD...

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:49 pm

Metroid wrote:The damn GCD, Am I missing something when I hack them? Everytime I hack them, I delete all the logs, cept the ones saying I logged on/off, and I always get caught anyway. Someone help...

I assume you mean the connection logs, rather than the "admin logged on" log. You can't leave the "admin logged on" log. If these are the connection logs, then make sure you break the log chain at a different point. Your first bounce point should always be InterNIC, and after you hack the GCD, you MUST delete the "127.0.0.1 routed to xxx.xxx.xxx" log AND the "Password Authentication accepted" log at InterNIC.
Crime pays and it has an excellent benefits package.
Uplink Directory Dossier
Metroid
level0

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:55 pm

So I have to crack InterNIC too? Thats annoying...
Metroid
level0

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:56 pm

Well I always deleted everything but the Connection established by xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...but I didnt know I had to crack InterNIC too....
Shade of Blue
level2
level2

Postby Shade of Blue » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:24 pm

Metroid wrote:Well I always deleted everything but the Connection established by xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...but I didnt know I had to crack InterNIC too....

The only logs you should ever have to delete are the InterNIC logs.
Right?
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:04 am

Shade of Blue wrote:
Metroid wrote:Well I always deleted everything but the Connection established by xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...but I didnt know I had to crack InterNIC too....

The only logs you should ever have to delete are the InterNIC logs.
Right?

Besides wiping the logs on the target system itself, yes. Actually, you can get away with not wiping the logs on the target system as long as you break the log chain somewhere (usually InterNIC). But just to be safe, I always wipe the logs on the target too.

Uplink Directory Dossier
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:09 am

Wiping the logs on the target is just a waste of time. Generally the trace has already passed those logs and so deleting them does nothing. The only exception is bank hacking where you have to delete the statements. :)
NeoTheOne175
level4
level4

Postby NeoTheOne175 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:26 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Wiping the logs on the target is just a waste of time. Generally the trace has already passed those logs and so deleting them does nothing. The only exception is bank hacking where you have to delete the statements. :)

True. Never mind then, listen to Stews. :)

Uplink Directory Dossier
Shade of Blue
level2
level2

Postby Shade of Blue » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:14 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Wiping the logs on the target is just a waste of time. Generally the trace has already passed those logs and so deleting them does nothing. The only exception is bank hacking where you have to delete the statements. :)

, as i was saying.

:wink:

Return to “Hints and Tips”