"Frame.." missions are never winnable :(

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Spook
level2
level2

"Frame.." missions are never winnable :(

Postby Spook » Mon May 03, 2004 1:09 am

I have no idea why, but I cannot win any of the missions that involve you framing someone for something, such as bank fraud. I've read every post I can find on the subject, and read Icepick's Guide to the mission, and I'm following it to the absolute letter - but every single time, the news reports the bank being hacked, but no-one is ever arrested. This has happened on two brand-new characters, and a reinstall of Uplink + patch didn't help..

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be, or is it just a bug?

I was trying to work around it by not doing those missions - but I suspect my rank won't go higher until I've solved a certain number of them, so I'm stuck..
xriso
level1
level1

Re: "Frame.." missions are never winnable :(

Postby xriso » Mon May 03, 2004 1:56 am

Steal money. Your rank will skyrocket.
The best hacks are the ones nobody knows about.
FU7IL3
level1
level1

Postby FU7IL3 » Mon May 03, 2004 3:12 am

You are probably just too fast. It is the one type of mission that it doesn't pay off to be fast as hell.

Use fewer bounce points.
Read "The Sunday Matinee" every week on www.homelanfed.com for your weekly dose of commentary on the gaming industry. Written by me, FU7IL3!
Spook
level2
level2

Postby Spook » Mon May 03, 2004 6:01 pm

If I go any slower I'll be caught - I'm leaving their servers with three seconds left on the trace..
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Mon May 03, 2004 8:20 pm

Are you sure you have the IP exactly correct when you type it into the log modifier?
I wasn't here.
Spook
level2
level2

Postby Spook » Mon May 03, 2004 11:16 pm

dunetrooper wrote:Are you sure you have the IP exactly correct when you type it into the log modifier?

I must have attempted such missions twenty times now, and I always doublecheck the IP - it's definitely right for each mission, and it's definitely the target IP and not an accidental entry of the bank IP.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Tue May 04, 2004 5:51 am

You must be doing something wrong.

There is absolutely no other reason why it wouldn't work.

Which log are you modifying, on which server?
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Spook
level2
level2

Postby Spook » Tue May 04, 2004 7:42 pm

ReflectingGod wrote:You must be doing something wrong.

There is absolutely no other reason why it wouldn't work.

Which log are you modifying, on which server?

The log is normally InterNIC, and I have also tried the Academic Database instead, altering the log to the target's IP.

I'm quite willing to accept that I'm doing something wrong, but I've followed Icepick's guide to the mission to the very letter - just a few bounces, cracking the admin password on the bank server, disconnecting when the trace reaches InterNIC and/or when the trace reaches just three seconds, logging into InterNIC and modifying the log to the target user's IP.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue May 04, 2004 7:49 pm

Which log are you modifying it should be the route log, the others will not work. Also the missions can become impossible if you fail too often. :)
Spook
level2
level2

Postby Spook » Tue May 04, 2004 8:02 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Which log are you modifying it should be the route log, the others will not work. Also the missions can become impossible if you fail too often. :)

The "route" log? I'm modifiying the first bounce log - at InterNIC (I once tried the Academic Database instead, not that it made any difference). So the route goes from localhost to InterNIC to a couple random bounces, to the bank.

In order to keep testing theories, I backed up my user folder in the Uplink directory, so I replaced it each time I didn't pass. Oh, and I'm not receiving a failed mission email - I'm waiting a week, then having to abandon it, long after the news about the bank being hacked has been posted on Uplink's Internal Services server.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue May 04, 2004 8:05 pm

So the news never reports the hacker being captured? The route log is the log at InterNIC that says "connection from * routed to *". This is the log to be modified, as opposed to the other connection or access logs. :)
Spook
level2
level2

Postby Spook » Tue May 04, 2004 8:19 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:So the news never reports the hacker being captured? The route log is the log at InterNIC that says "connection from * routed to *". This is the log to be modified, as opposed to the other connection or access logs. :)

Right, I'm with you :) And yes, that's the log I alter.. change the From field to the target user's IP addy, delete my InterNIC admin logon log, and disconnect. Then I head to the news page and fastforward - after a few hours the report of the bank being hacked appears, but that's it. No news of anyone being arrested, even if I let it run on for a week or so.

If I try to reply to the mission brief, they just tell me he hasn't been arrested yet. I've tried hacking the GDC and altering it so he's arrested, but even if I list "Bank Fraud" as one of the crimes, they tell me he wasn't arrested for the right reason, and I fail..
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue May 04, 2004 8:37 pm

What computers are you using for the bounces? Try using a couple public access servers and seeing what happens. :)
Spook
level2
level2

Postby Spook » Tue May 04, 2004 9:14 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:What computers are you using for the bounces? Try using a couple public access servers and seeing what happens. :)

No dice. Still the same - I get the bank hack news item, but no arrest after 7 days.
Deadweight
level1
level1

Postby Deadweight » Wed May 05, 2004 12:08 am

I have the exact same problem, I change the "xxx routed to wherever" so that xxx is the IP of the person being framed, yet I still get nothing. I see the report in the news of the damage/hack but nothing about the arrest.

Return to “Hints and Tips”