installing gateways

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

dark knight
level0

Postby dark knight » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:22 am

how do i install new gateways, i cant find the data files, and when in the game i cant seem to get to the themes, it asks for user id ect but wont let me enter anything, im running 1.3 patch can anyone help me please
Pseudo 5124
level1
level1

Postby Pseudo 5124 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:37 pm

go to

http://www.modlink.net/mods.php?modtype=other&pageid=1

and download the gateway maker.
read the tutorial,it will tell u were to put the files
As i said before, i never repeat myself.
If u cant confuse them, confuse them
Chronic
level0

Postby Chronic » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:58 am

Ok guy I personly thought I would not be in here asking questions because I know i injoye reading the stupid questions all the time.   But now it is my turn for a stupid question.

Ok I have the gateway builder manual 4 read it built it, but I got two problems first my paint won't work because it is a tif file so i can't get the chords on it.  but i don't realy care about that.  I downloaded a gateway everything works on it but I can't get it into the game how do I get access to the gateway in game?
Thanks for any help.
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:28 am

First you put the two graphics files, <gateway>.tif and <gateway>_t.tif into your [uplink]/graphics/gateway/ folder, and the <gateway>.txt fiel into your data/gateways/ folder.
That's the installation.

To access them, go to the Gateway Upgrade part of the Uplink Internal Services machine, and lo and behold! your installed gateway will be in the list! (You may need to scroll down the list to see it.
Chronic
level0

Postby Chronic » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:54 am

Ya I have done all of that stuff but it ain't showing up in the game for some reason.  Unless I am so stupid I can't figure out how to scroll down.  I thought it might have been the gateways I downloaded but it ain't I just went and got another and it still didn't work.  HELP PLEASE.hehe. thanks guys
yo
Chronic
level0

Postby Chronic » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:16 am

I'm not realy sure what the newist update. The one I am running is the 1.31 version.  I don't want all the mods because I want to get to, as close to finnishing this one before adding all that other crap..  
yo
Robtek00
level1
level1

Postby Robtek00 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:56 pm

Have you created a new user since you installed the new gateway? Try it, you should find it is now there (on the new user, not the existing ones!)
Chronic
level0

Postby Chronic » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:31 am

Ok.  This is keeping me up VERY LATE AT NIGHT.  I just can't get it to work.  I have done everything.  From making sure the every folder is right.  To trying different gateways.  everything is setup right.  I ain't slow. This is my only problem and I can't get it to work.  Yes I have even tried making a new character NOTHING IS WORKING... My cpu is about to become a $4000 paper weight.  
Any advice right now would be great.  Thanks all that help.
yo
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:34 am

no advice from me is if oviously something you are doing wrong.

try reinstalling uplink and starting again.
Robtek00
level1
level1

Postby Robtek00 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:58 pm

When you say you installed the gateway, did you check that the gateway machine is listed in the gatewaydefs.txt file (located in the Uplink\Data folder)?
I wish I had a fiver for everytime i heard "I hate computers...they don't like me!", I'd be a millionaire!
Chronic
level0

Postby Chronic » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:22 am

O MY F$@&GOD After all that.  Guess what my stupidity did to me.   It was because everytime i extracted the 1.31 update I kept extracting it to my c:drive and not to my d:drive.   Ya it is working now.   lol.  

ps. if you need me i will be hanging in the bathroom. lol
yo

Return to “Hints and Tips”