What do I do when the Motion Sensor goes Red?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

dlj03048804
level0

Postby dlj03048804 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:48 pm

I just got dissconnected by a company.On the map of the world there is a red square on there what do i do? I think that it is something to do with the motion sensor? :confused:
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:10 pm

A red square on the map of a world means a server has been infected with virus. If you are connected to a system that suddenly is infected you are disconnected.
This has nothing to do with your motion sensor.

When your motion sensor is active and goes red, you should destroy your gateway using the Gateway Destruct.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
andrewas
level4
level4

Postby andrewas » Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:13 pm

Modlink. Brilliant site, has a very detailed guide to most everything in standard uplink.

The red square on the worldmap is nothing to do with the motion sensor, instead it indicates the presence of revelation.

To get the motion sensor, you have to run the driver program for it and then it will display an indicator near the top of the screen. (actualy, I suspect that will display over the worldmap if you had it opened. But its not a square, its rectangular). By itself, its useless.  But if you have a gateway nuke, now would be a good time to set it off. Or it might be, uplink technicians also trigger the sensor so it might just be someone performing an upgrade. Think before you nuke.
redscitle
level0

Postby redscitle » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:07 am

I've heard from the FAQ to back up if u have time before nuking. How do I do this? like copy my softwre onto another server?
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:17 pm

If you do a mission involving copying large amounts of data onto a file server then you will have permenant access to that server even when the mission is over.

If you do have access to a fileserver then backup your databanks onto it. not all of your files may fit copy the most expensive ones.

It is adviseable to do this as soon as you have a fileserver available, as you generally have very little time after your motion sensor goes red. :)
Blasted heath
monsquaz_uplink
level1
level1

Postby monsquaz_uplink » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:06 am

Quote: from andrewas on 3:13 pm on Dec. 21, 2003[br]Or it might be, uplink technicians also trigger the sensor so it might just be someone performing an upgrade. Think before you nuke.

The very thought of blowing up the Uplink technicians while they work amuses me to no end.
bahawolf
level2
level2

Postby bahawolf » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:12 am

Quote: from redscitle on 9:07 am on Dec. 23, 2003[br]I've heard from the FAQ to back up if u have time before nuking. How do I do this? like copy my softwre onto another server?

Go into your users directory in your Uplink folder, and copy your username file. This file will be named: "your-username.usr" (I believe..)
Proud Cist of SSI/SA.

Return to “Hints and Tips”