Any Newbies?

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:14 am

Ever considered that this is what the FAQ was created for - to answer n00b questions and avoid hassle.
Oh and I think the format is something like "run programname" but you'll have to experiment, as I can't remember.
WaskOmega
level0

Postby WaskOmega » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:30 pm

I have a problem, its 14april and i got that mail from that dead agent and i used his password and stuff but it didnt work then i hacked it by admin to acces the fileserver but a few days ago i was just hacking everything(i just learned to use the console)and i deleted all the files but then there wasnt any revelation thingy really fucked up
0100011001110101011000110110101100100000010110010110111101110101 hahaha just learned it
Scipio
level0

Postby Scipio » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:23 am

I am supposed to copy Revelation into Arumnors computer but I cant... it wont write it into the file server.

Grateful for a hint...

(Edited by Scipio at 10:56 am on Aug. 31, 2003)
Maniak
level4
level4

Postby Maniak » Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:08 pm

WaskOmega, all you have to do is use the dead agent's password. Make sure you have 4 gigaquads of space, or Revelation won't get copied. Scipio, try deleting a file, then copying Revelation. 01, type:
cd usr
run X

where X is the program name. I'm glad to have help you all.:biggrin:

(Edited by Maniak at 9:10 am on Aug. 31, 2003)
Maniak hacks like crazy!
Click here to visit my favorite site! My Profile! Rate Me! Community status: Forum Maniac Newbie Guides!
Jango
level0

Postby Jango » Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:38 pm

I have a question. I am working against ARC, and I was supposed to install and run a revelation Tracker. So I did, Had to delete a file on that system. But when I whent to the Console and whanted to start the program I typed

Run Program RevelationTracer

and it anwserd (well not word for word...) Cant find program.

Now I typed dir to see what was in the usr catalouge. And sure it was there, so I tried again. But to no avail. So I tried again,again again again again.

What am I doing wrong?

I bypass everything. I connect from one of arcs own servers so as they think it is someone on arc doing the connecting.

I am all out of Ideas. Help me please.
bgreene2001
level5
level5

Postby bgreene2001 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:35 pm

And I'm sure Maniak appreciates the irony of this thread ;)
I'm sorry, but you haven't been here long enough to complain about too many useless topics.  Hell, I've been here longer than most, but I still don't like to bitch about it too much.  Because we know that n00bs will be n00bs and despite all efforts to toilet train them will spread crap all over the place for the first few weeks ;)

But really, that's what this forum is for, to get your questions answered, and occasionally read the faq, or get flamed and told to RTFF.  If a newb has the choice between asking his question here and probably having it fade into obscurity, or creating a new topic and having it answered, along with detailed instructions on how to find the search button/faq/google, I know which one most people would choose.

Face it, if noobs don't read the faq (they wouldn't be asking noobish questions if they did), how can you expect them to find and post here?  And if the questions aren't noobish, don't they deserve their own thread?

Yah, I know, I rant too much ;)  Especially seeing if I'm going to get more than 5 hours sleep I had to be in bed a few hours ago :P  Now I get to decide if it's easier to try to be up in time, or just pass on sleep
I swear Officer, I didn't know she was 4!
My Profile, my mates site, Bloody Mongrel.  Great stuff.
Click here to help me get some free magnets :)  Pleeeease?
Maniak
level4
level4

Postby Maniak » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:56 pm

You do have a point. But many of the newbie posts are questions that can be answered somewhere else, or (making the post more annoying) it's a question that's been answered before. This topic was made to eliminate posts like these. Once the newbies start posting sensible questions, that haven't been answered in this topic, or in the FAQ, they can go right on ahead. In fact, once they do this, they aren't newbies.

<EDIT> Oh, Jango, you just have to type:

cd usr
run revelationtracer

No spaces.</EDIT>

(Edited by Maniak at 6:57 am on Sep. 2, 2003)
Maniak hacks like crazy!
Click here to visit my favorite site! My Profile! Rate Me! Community status: Forum Maniac Newbie Guides!
KillerKebab
level0

Postby KillerKebab » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:45 pm

You mean no "program" in between "run" and "X" :P
subzndubz
level0

Postby subzndubz » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:07 am

Maybe you shold all quit complaining about the damn topics and just answer the questions or better yet start a topic called Bitching About The Noob Questions and you can all field the complaints there, instead of posting crap in the middle of things i and others might want to read
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:04 am

well, hard to admit, but subzndubz has a point. some time before i also had the same feeling as Maniak, but recently i've come to realize that not all newbies are created equal, what's more, we were once like them, remember? it's just that some prefer to approach their problems in Uplink by upright asking for the answer (hey, how do you use a voice analyzer?), and some try to be more resourceful and use the Search button or read the threads that were made to answer other newbies. of course it's perfectly alright to feel irritated once in a while when a newbie doesn't seem to get the point (and there's a lot of them out there), but we should remember that not all of them are.
Maniak
level4
level4

Postby Maniak » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:19 pm

I do believe you are all right.:)
Maniak hacks like crazy!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:11 pm

Quote: from Jango on 4:38 pm on Sep. 1, 2003[br]I have a question. I am working against ARC, and I was supposed to install and run a revelation Tracker. So I did, Had to delete a file on that system. But when I whent to the Console and whanted to start the program I typed

Run Program RevelationTracer

and it anwserd (well not word for word...) Cant find program.

Now I typed dir to see what was in the usr catalouge. And sure it was there, so I tried again. But to no avail. So I tried again,again again again again.

What am I doing wrong?

I bypass everything. I connect from one of arcs own servers so as they think it is someone on arc doing the connecting.

I am all out of Ideas. Help me please.

Drop the "program" from the command, it should be:

Run RevelationTracer

On a seperate note, while the idea of thread consolidation may seem good, it really just confuses things.  It is much harder to have to read all the posts in a thread trying to find the ones that are  relevant than to skim the topics in a forum.  Creating a new topic for each problem actually helps.  :)
Maniak
level4
level4

Postby Maniak » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:52 pm

*sigh* I think you're correct. One topic to browse through is a bit tougher to navigate. I made a post to Cold Fusion earlier. That's my defense, so you go read it. Thanks for updating my profile. I just submitted an edit to add a commercial plug(is that like another quote or something?). Good luck hacking for all of you. :biggrin:
Maniak hacks like crazy!
moonshine
level0

Postby moonshine » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:50 pm

Got a question.. I've got more than 10 missions on the Uplink server, but I can access none of them... It writes: "We cannot let you contact this emploer due to his specific instructions" (or something like this).. Is it because these missions are against me (some of them for sure are) and I can't take up a mission to track myself, or is it because of my Neuromancer rating, or maybe something else? These are "track a hacker" and "track a bank transfer" missions...

And the second thing: I read in the FAQ about some kind of a LAN-hacking... but I haven't encountered any LANs in Uplink... and don't have a possibility to buy any LAN-hacking stuff... Will it appear later with the storyline, or maybe there is another version of Uplink.. (I know there is one, but I thought it don't deffer from the first one (just correction of some bugs...)... do it?)
There are 10 types of people - those who understand binnary, and those who don't...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:59 pm

If a trace mission is target at you, you will be given that  message.

LANs only appear in the 1.2 patch and later.  If you see LAN stuff avalible for purchase then there are LANs in your game, otherwise you will need to patch and start a new user.  One LAN can be found on InterNIC the others are listed on companies' Internal Services Machine (in the "Links" section).  :)

Return to “Hints and Tips”