LAN FAQ

Stuck in Uplink? Need Help?

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver, Punisher Bass

Kraft
level0

Postby Kraft » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:09 am

Who wants a FAQ to the LAN hacking. I'm waiting Wilko to see it and see if he can make one. I have never written one but I'm sure most people will understand this. I'll post it if I can get at least five people to say yea. I'll post it here anyways tomorrow at 11:30 (MST) if all goes well. That's a 7 hour later than London. So what do you think? Can I hear yea's?
hdude
level0

Postby hdude » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:28 am

yea please, cos I don't know what to do with it :(
Kraft
level0

Postby Kraft » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:33 am

Hold tight 'cuz you might get dizzy for a while. By the way, I might not have some things right but go ahead and ask.

* Consult the LAN scree to see what the devices are and what they are used for. Routers, Radios, Modems, etc are all described in the LAN View just click on it ;)

Tools
LAN View (HUD Upgrade) - This is required to enter and surf around the LAN net.
LAN Probe - You use this to find links to components i.e. see what is connected with what.
LAN Scan - This too is my usual first program runned. It scans the LAN net and gives you silouhetes.                    
LAN Spoof - This tricks the LAN net to think your a terminal on it. Basically this is the "bypass" way to hack the locks.
LAN Force - This is a brute force hack on the locks. It is like a proxy or firewall disabler and like it it gets detected. Its cheaper though.

Finding a LAN
Like _ben_ said you find these on the Internal Service Machine and Mainframes under the "Links" section.

What to do first
I would do a scan to find the network devices. The probe each device individually. I usually start with the router and then hop around. NOTE: You can only find links (blue travel lines) to open and unlocked devices. This is important because as LAN get bigger (as if they weren't) there are critical systems on seperate LANs. These are seperated by different LAN pathways. These Sub-LANs start with radio transmitters/receivers and modems instead of routers.

Travelling (Around the World)
The fastest way from any place is a straight line and LAN nets aren't any different. To move around the LAN you first need to see it so hopefully you scaned what you could. In LAN country you need to get from Point A to Point B step by step. Sometimes you can travel through several components at once but I recommend you do it by hand and one by one. If you already hacked a device and need to go back, press Back or Reset in the lower right part of the LAN View/HUD. Connect communicates you with the device. This is the only way you can chek if a lock is open or closed that I know of, and is always accurate. Use this to explore in the beginning of you LAN experience. I don't know if the admin looks for you if you just travel around because I always run a Monitor Bypass, reflex.

Locks
Locks are your nemesis on a LAN. Well not really, the admin is. What do you do with locks. Well theres two types the locked ones and the unlocked. Just kidding but you want the latter. There is two components the Authorization Server and the Isolation Bridge. The AS handles only one lock at a time while the IB handles two (I still havent figured out the IB totally but I know how to open them.) Connect to them to check the status, locked/unlocked.

Opening Locks
These two ways, rough and noisy or slow and quiet. Your choice really. You can use a LAN Force to force open any and all locked locks, there's no use to use on opened ones right? This will always be noticed by the admin so I say RUN or press reset on the LAN View. Always press reset when you've been noticed. Be careful though because you might also be traced, sometimes and depends on what you did. Always keep an eye on the Trace Map and/or on the Trace Traker. Back on track now. The quiet way is to enter the controlling AS or IB and hack it and turn it off. Sometimes you can't get access to one of these puppies or the main server on the LAN because you need to be a secure terminal. Don't fear though because you have a LAN Spoof, right? Well click on the lock controlling device you want. On screen you'll see a yellow outline and says Secure Subnet. Now get the Spoof running and click it on this yellow terminal. let it run and leave it like that. Now access the AT or IB (travel step by step) and you'll connect to it. Hack it and turn off security and TA-DA you've brought down security without been noticed.

Locked Treasure
Usually terminals are behind locks so that means that as soon as you hack and bring down a lock. Scan these opened locks with a probe and you'll see a terminal behind it. Connect to it and chances are that as soon as you hack it you can find a telephone number (091283-012920) or a radio frequency (163.2 Ghz). For the telephone numbers plug them in to the IP Finder and for the frequencies use them on a radio transmitter.

Sub-LANs?
You can access Sub-LANs by following the advice in the previous section. Sub-LANs are on the LAN but they are seperate from the router's pathway. In other words they are by themselves and can range from a single system on it to many terminals, isolation bridges, locks, radio transmitters/recievers, etc. To find access you need to first go though the immedeiate LAN, that the one with the router and the default one you start in when you first connect to any LAN. Sooner or later a company will have a complex LAN like let's say ARC, and they do have one. ARC has three Sub-LANs beside the router's in my User/Game. It has modems and radio transmitters/recievers as the starting device. Basically the modems and radios are the routers of the Sub-Nets. You do basically the same as you would for the first LAN i.e. the one with the router.

The Coveted Cheese
Finally you reach the end of the maze and find the cheese. It should be a Server that looks alot like the one you saw when you first created a game, it should have a big Uplink U on the machines picture. So now you can do whatever with it. Blow it up if it's your mission or blow it up if it isn't but know this your gonna be watched.

"Beat it! It's Johnny Law!"
Final showdown with your nemesis, the LAN's Admin. Chances are that once you connect to the main server the admin will hunt you down. You have time though so go ahead and bypass the voice authentication (Sometimes you need the admins voice) and hit Access Granted. Don't Pass Go, I mean don't hack the password but quicly hit the Reset button on the LAN View. Now access the main server and acess the password and crack it. Don't hit proceed yet but notice that both security systems should be hacked, if you did this right. Hit Reset again. Now access the system for a final time and look around it or steal files or whatever. Be careful. You'll be traced but if you bounce through enough systems, the LAN will kick you off. You'll have enough time to let's say erase all data before getting kicked off. If you do get kicked off before finishing you can access the LAN again but this time with security down like you left it, except for that on the main server if I remeber correctly. Remeber to hit reset when in a tight spot and always look at you Trace Map. Paranoia will get you far in this game. Also eliminate any logs that could point to you always but you should now this.

Did I miss anything???
lord_nikon09
level1
level1

Postby lord_nikon09 » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:35 pm

whenever i try to acsess a server of any sort - there is always a terminal that says "valid subnet" and i cannot connect to the server!!! help!
Doom_uplink
level1
level1

Postby Doom_uplink » Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:57 pm

make sure your connected to the hub, terminal or whatever closest to the server you want to connect to, then click on the server you want to connect to, then use the LAN_Spoofer on the "valid subnet" click the back button and click the server you want to connect to again. hope that helped.

(Edited by Doom at 5:58 pm on July 11, 2002)
Anyone who can walk to the welfare office can walk to work. - Al Capp
bgreene2001
level5
level5

Postby bgreene2001 » Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:55 am

bump
I swear Officer, I didn't know she was 4!
My Profile, my mates site, Bloody Mongrel.  Great stuff.
Click here to help me get some free magnets :)  Pleeeease?
KrYpTiC_uplink
level1
level1

Postby KrYpTiC_uplink » Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:39 am

This should be Bumped. It is a pretty good guide on LAN hacking.
"Ford, your turning in to a penguin.  Stop it."
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:37 pm

cheers kraft a great help!
Nakatomi is coming
Kraft
level0

Postby Kraft » Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:57 pm

Thanks and it is my pleasure. Also don't forget to check Icepick's updated Guide as soon as it comes out. I gave him some ideas so that should be more complete. Have fun everyone.
Psychotic_Dude
level1
level1

Postby Psychotic_Dude » Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:43 pm

DUDE!!!!

thanx :cheesy: http://www.introversion.co.uk
You compromised 17 high security systems
You destroyed 35 computers
You ruined the lives of 90 people
chaosbreather
level0

Postby chaosbreather » Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:20 am

Ack! I seem to have a problem. On this lan, there is a lock, then a phone, but I can't seem to connect to the phone at all. The lock says its down, and when I click it the authenticator it indicates doesn't exist, its just next to a path, but there isn't anything there! What do I do?

Also, is there only one LAN?
Doom_uplink
level1
level1

Postby Doom_uplink » Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:07 am

look around in the Terminal machines in the lan there should be a number (12345-67890) thats the number for the modem, now use your IP_Lookup tool. and no every company has a lan, goto view links in the internal service machines.
Sabin
level2
level2

Postby Sabin » Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:51 pm

Quote: from Kraft on 10:33 am on July 11, 2002[br]
   Locks
Locks are your nemesis on a LAN. Well not really, the admin is. What do you do with locks. Well theres two types the locked ones and the unlocked. Just kidding but you want the latter. There is two components the Authorization Server and the Isolation Bridge. The AS handles only one lock at a time while the IB handles two (I still havent figured out the IB totally but I know how to open them.) Connect to them to check the status, locked/unlocked.

Wrong! The IB handles two, and the AS handles THREE, not one. With the IB, once you move through the lock, it locks behind you.
If you can see this, start flailing about in wild panic.
Snowborn
level0

Postby Snowborn » Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:06 pm

At the end of the network,I can still see a modem, that i can^t connect to! It just won^t let me and i can^t find anything in the way that I haven^t cracked yet! Help!
Doom_uplink
level1
level1

Postby Doom_uplink » Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:18 pm

Click on the modem and look around the LAN to see if a computer says "Valid Subnet" now use your LAN_Spoofer on the "Valid Subnet" box now you can connect to the modem or whatever.

hmm... havent edited for a while

Return to “Hints and Tips”