Old Guy Needs Help

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

OldDullard
level1
level1

Old Guy Needs Help

Postby OldDullard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:01 pm

I used to play this years ago. Loved it. Just bought a new laptop (windows 10). So I am trying to play this and Defcon. BUT...

When I try to play Uplink I can open a profile again. It says, “Failed to load profile…” I can’t read what else it says because its below a line which prevents it. I know a lot of people who play the game are very into computers, etc. I am not, though. Yes, I see the irony. I have seen online that there are “things to do” but I don’t understand what they are talking about. Is there any way you can help me? I introduced the game to my son and he loves it. I’d love to be able to play with him.

Like I said, I don't understand how to do mods, etc. I am hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the old man questions.
equinoxmist
level0

Re: Old Guy Needs Help

Postby equinoxmist » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi,

What does the full message say? I believe there is more than 'Failed to load user profile', what is after the ...?
OldDullard
level1
level1

Postby OldDullard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:31 pm

It says:

Failed to load user profile
The save file is not compatible

Save file is Version[]
Required Version is between

Then it says other things but I can't scroll down to see what it says.

I have a legit copy. Paid for.

Thanks for taking the time. Hope you can help.
equinoxmist
level0

Postby equinoxmist » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Quite a few people have encountered this issue, with many suggesting it may be a file permissions issue. Have you got the steam version, or the normal version?

Basically the game tries to rename a file, but it doesn't have permission so it can't load it. The message is a bit misleading, some other threads:

https://forums.introversion.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=39606
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1510/dis ... 272511899/
OldDullard
level1
level1

Postby OldDullard » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:16 pm

The ZIP file that I got does say Steam so I guess its Steam. Do I have to play it in Steam? I also found those links, thank you. But I don't understand what they are saying. I'm not that computer literate.

Return to “General”