Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

rob_quill
level1
level1

Digital Version of DevCD

Postby rob_quill » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:45 am

Hi all,

Today I was going though some old CDs and found my Uplink Developer CD. I tried to look what was on it but appears that the whole CD has become unreadable, despite no scratches etc. Long story short, I was wondering if it is possible to get a replacement, either physical or digital. I'll be keeping the original anyway for nostolgia, as it was a cool thing that I owned - but it's a shame I can't remind myself of what was on it any more. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
Rodenticide
level0

Re: Digital Version of DevCD

Postby Rodenticide » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:02 am

scratches in the surface of a CD or DVD can be fixed with softened wax. As with the toothpaste fix, you can also use lip balm, or even furniture wax. Just rub it into the surface of the CD to fill the scratch. Then wipe of the excess wax with a lint-free cloth. Restore your data in secure drive.
z3ndog
level0

Postby z3ndog » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:21 am

Did you find the dev CD?
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:48 pm

I'm curious where to get the Dev CD's contents myself. I don't sprachen ze C++ but I'd like to have a poke around.

Rodenticide wrote:scratches in the surface of a CD or DVD can be fixed with softened wax. As with the toothpaste fix, you can also use lip balm, or even furniture wax. Just rub it into the surface of the CD to fill the scratch. Then wipe of the excess wax with a lint-free cloth. Restore your data in secure drive.

Given the nature of the Dev CD I would expect it's probably just dead due to bitrot. They weren't commercially pressed to the best of my knowledge and the lifetime of a CDR ain't great.

Return to “General”