Information Request Regarding Game Modification

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

HardstyleFlavor
level0

Information Request Regarding Game Modification

Postby HardstyleFlavor » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:10 pm

Hello Uplink Forums. I know I'm about 6 or 7 years late to the party, but I recently bought Uplink from Steam during the last sale. Uplink so far has become one of my favorite games that I've ever played. I like it so much, and feel that it deserves way more attention than it currently has, that I would like to start work on a large scale mod project.

I have been extremely interested in computer programming ever since I was a freshman in high school, and that was about 6 years ago. Now, I've finally gotten myself back into school and am in the middle of my first semester going for a Computer Science degree. As I would eventually like to work in the game development industry, I want to start building up my collection of code samples for whenever I start applying for internships. My eventual goal is to design and code an entirely new "spiritual successor" to Uplink but for now I want to start off small and work on some simple mods that add basic functionality to the game.

So my point is, what are some tips you guys can share with me in regards to starting off with game modification, specifically Uplink. I read somewhere that Uplink is coded in C++, is this true? I do have some experience with taking an object oriented approach to coding in C++, so that would be great since I'm somewhat familiar. What exactly comes with my purchase of the source code (other than the license which I've reviewed to some extent), is there a specific IDE I should use? Uplink is an older game, are there any issues with possibly outdated code and implemented methodology I should keep an eye out for? Ill take anything you can throw at me, from factual information to links to sources that you think might help.

And of course, thank-you for any and all bits of information, all of it will help me take a stab at reviving the life into this gem of a game, and will eventually help me further my goal of having a career in the video game software development field.
ZeroApoc
level0

Re: Information Request Regarding Game Modification

Postby ZeroApoc » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:27 pm

I am playing Uplink through steam through playonlinux. I want to use the SimplyUplink mod but can't figure out how to do so. Is there a way to get a non-windows installer version of the mod files? I also have it installed in the linux steam distro. I've tried everything.

Return to “General”