10 uplink questions

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

vash the stampede
level0

10 uplink questions

Postby vash the stampede » Tue May 13, 2014 2:32 am

I would GREATLY appreciate if for the y/n you would say yes or no before saying anything else for that question

I know the interNIC doesn't change there passwords and i should call bounce threw it to remove logs.I'm saying this because i have been told this multiple times

AIL=All Incriminating Logs
EI=Extra Info
IL-Incriminating Logs
y/n=Yes or no

1:Are there bad effects of being traced even if you don't hit 100% y/n
2:(in world map)Does the order of places you call bounce matter y/n EI-For example making my call bounce have the longest lines or zig zag more
3:Does bandwidth help only when uploading/downloading messages are displayed y/n
4:Does cpu help what is uploading/downloading y/n
5:If i remove AIL from 1 computer that was in my call bouncing are the other IL from the other computers a threat y/n
6:Will the news tell me when i screwed up y/n
7:Will under cover government agency pretend to make a mission to catch me y/n
8:What do i need to do to gain admin access
9:Why should i do more to a log other then delete it? AI-I know the owners will see a blank space and know somethings up but why should i avoid them knowing something is up
10:Why do i need multiple bank accounts

:|
If your goal is impossible then find the loophole
NeatNit
level5
level5

Re: 10 uplink questions

Postby NeatNit » Wed May 14, 2014 7:11 pm

I know the answers to some of these, but bear in mind I've never actually played enough to even start the story, everything I know is from reading the forum occasionally and very minor experience in the game itself. So I could be wrong.

vash the stampede wrote:1:Are there bad effects of being traced even if you don't hit 100% y/n
5:If i remove AIL from 1 computer that was in my call bouncing are the other IL from the other computers a threat y/n

It basically works like this:
While you're hacking, they try to trace you. They go through every computer/server you pass through, and if they reach you you're caught.

However, if you disconnect in the middle, they will be left off in the last server that they traced. Then they will slowly continue to trace you by using the logs of the servers, each one pointing towards the next one until, eventually, they reach you. But if you remove the logs from one of the servers (ideally InterNIC), they can't complete that trace so they're screwed.

So the farther along they are in the active trace, the less they have to do in the passive trace because they already completed a bigger portion of the trace. If you remove the logs from a server that they already passed in the active trace, then it doesn't make any difference since they already passed it - they will still find you.

vash the stampede wrote:2:(in world map)Does the order of places you call bounce matter y/n EI-For example making my call bounce have the longest lines or zig zag more

I once asked the exact same question and someone's answer was that it doesn't matter at all. There is no difference between 1 meter distance and 100000 kilometer distance.

vash the stampede wrote:7:Will under cover government agency pretend to make a mission to catch me y/n

I don't think this happens.

vash the stampede wrote:9:Why should i do more to a log other then delete it? AI-I know the owners will see a blank space and know somethings up but why should i avoid them knowing something is up

They might hire other agents to try and trace you. There is something called Log Undeleter, which you can also get, which will do exactly what it says on the tin - it can restore logs to what they were before you deleted or changed them. Another agent (which was hired by the admin/owner) can use this tool and trace it back to you.

vash the stampede wrote:10:Why do i need multiple bank accounts

From what I hear, if you have an account in Bank A and you bounce your connection through it, then it takes more time to trace you than if you didn't have an account. I don't know exactly how this works, this is what I hear.

Hope I helped!
BlackPhantom
level0

Re: 10 uplink questions

Postby BlackPhantom » Fri May 23, 2014 5:58 am

vash the stampede wrote:
2:(in world map)Does the order of places you call bounce matter y/n EI-For example making my call bounce have the longest lines or zig zag more
3:Does bandwidth help only when uploading/downloading messages are displayed y/n
4:Does cpu help what is uploading/downloading y/n
6:Will the news tell me when i screwed up y/n
7:Will under cover government agency pretend to make a mission to catch me y/n
8:What do i need to do to gain admin access

10:Why do i need multiple bank accounts

:|

Most of what NeatNit said is correct.

*Note some people may consider this spoiling the game. I found part of the fun of Uplink when I first started was figuring a lot of this stuff out on my own. However, if your cool with having it explained to you read on*

2.No

3.Yes

4.No

5.Depends. As long as the AIL are earlier in the trace than the IL then you should be fine. For example if you have a trace list of 5 nodes and you erase all routing logs in node 1 then you are safe because the chain of connections has been broken. Its recommended that you use internic for this breaking point due to the fact they don't care if you break into their system and the password never changes.

6. No. The news only tell you of an event after the fact. By the time the news hits you have already been arrested and put in prison. Your screwed game over. The only way to counter getting arrested is to install two systems on your gateway: a motion sensor and a self destruct device. The motion sensor works kind of like a trace tracker for the real world. It appears as a box below the time in game. It tells you if no one is around your gateway(grey), if a few people are around your gateway(yellow), or if a lot of people are around your gateway(red). It is important to keep in mind that the device does not discriminate between uplink personal and government officials seeking to jail your ass. For example the light may turn yellow if you are having new hardware installed or red if you are having a lot of hardware installed at once. However, if you didn't order may new hardware and it turns red then you know it is most likely the government moving in to confiscate your gateway. In this situation your only option is to use the other hardware device the self destruct switch. This pops up a box that asks to confirm your decision. Once you say yes your deck is toast. You will have to log out of the game and then log back in. You will be set up with the starting gateway and starting software, but you will still have any money and links you have built up in the game. It sucks, but its better than spending the next twenty years in prision. :P

7. No. You will see missions that say something like 'We need a hacker who broke into are systems traced', but if these missions are against you(and they usually are) Uplink will not allow you to accept them.

8. Basically on all systems when you go to the password field and use the password cracker it will default to admin access. Some systems(like criminal,academic, and social security databases) will allow you to access via read-write or just read. To access these just enter into the user field read-write or read and crack the password normally. As far as banks and mainframes it is a little more tricky. Banks have three layers of protection, password, voice, and ciphers. I assume you already know how to crack passwords. To crack the voice system go to the main page of the bank and go to the top option that says something about personal. You want to find the number for the system administrator. Once you have that make sure you have the software called 'voice analyzer'. This lets you record a sample of their voice and then play it back to crack the voice security. The final layer of ICE is the cipher. This requires a special program called a decipher. I recommend getting the highest version because unless you got a rig which has several 200 ghz processors its going to take a year and a day to crack the cipher. Once you are past this security your in. You can view logs and records of all the accounts in the bank. Mainframes are pretty much the same thing except they don't usually have ciphers and you have to dig around a little bit to find the phone number of the system administrator(I let you figure that one out on your own)

10.You don't really need multiple bank accounts. It just another way to manage your money. As far as my experience playing the game it doesn't seem to affect anything whether you have one or a hundred accounts.
Only once we know the truth, can we truly see.

Return to “General”