I thought while I had some more spare time I would write a guide on how to mod the APK - its slightly complicated
changing the game files may cause the game to behave in unintended ways. you should only do this if you understand that:
1. I am not responcible if you break your game / device / laws
2. Any bugs or faults caused after you do this will have ZERO support.
One Click Apk Signer (PC) (google it)
AirDroid / file explorer (Android)
and whatever gateway / lan files you want to add (you can add graphics like maps etc but I wont cover that)
Get everything ready.
1. open airdroid and connect to it from your computer, click apps and download the uplink app to your desktop
make a copy of it just incase you mess up. (rename it to backup.apk or something)
2. Move One Click Apk Signer to your desktop and the lib folder that it comes with
3. extract the files you want to add to uplink onto the desktop in thier respective folders
EG: for a gateway you should have a DATA folder and a GRAPHICS folder on your desktop (they will have a Gateway/Gateways folder inside them)
for a LAN you should have just a DATA folder (with a LANS folder inside it)
things to note:
While I haven't had any problem adding gateways I have had some while trying to add Lans - I have found that Lan's with alot of systems on just wont work - try just sticking to the lans that have less then 100 systems attached.
Editing the APK.
1. open the APK with winrar - (theres no need to extract it all you can just work inside the archive) and delete the META-INF folder
2. Double click Assets / Data / PATCH3.DAT - a new instance of winrar will open and you will see a graphics folder
3. Drag and drop your DATA folder into this window, ==IMPORTANT== winrar will pop up a new window, there is a section for compression method, click the drop down box and select STORE.. if you dont do this the game will not work
4. Do the Same for your Graphics folder. (remember to change the compression to STORE)
5. Close this window now. winrar will tell you that the file has been modified and asks you if you want to update the archive - choose yes.
6 (maybe optional but i was having strange loading lag when i didn't do this) write down the new PATCH3.dat size from your first winrar window (it will have two sizes.. its the largest one) then click the up one level button (or double click the .. folder thing) then open assets.xml in a text editor and change the size of the PATCH3.DAT to match the new one save it and close and click yes when asked to update the archive.
Sign the APK
1. double click the 'one click app signer' icon, a new window will pop up asking you to 'tell me the name and path of the apk'
2. type in the name of the APK (eg uplink.apk) and hit enter - it will say 1 file copied.. its not done yet though wait a minute or two and it will close, you will have a new files called Signed-(uplink or whatever yours was called).apk
things to note:
the APK HAS to be in the same place as the one click app signer the path part just doesn't work.
Install the APK
1. open airdroid, connect from your computer - click apps then install - browse to the desktop and select the Signed-(uplink).apk and install
2. play the game
things to note:
you can install over the top of the original so you wont lose your user account or your progress - you don't need to create a new user to see the changes.
some screen shots
http://s33.beta.photobucket.com/user/i_ ... log/uplink