50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4
redocJT
level0

My Game Prototype

Postby redocJT » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 am

Hello everyone, I use to be around here in ~2001. I recently had a week off work and wrote a game prototype.

If you have any ideas for it you can post them here or at the blogspot blog I set up for it. There is a gamefront download link there.

The game is currently portable and can run from anywhere. It does no network or file system calls. I can implement features fast, and if it gets a following I can role out multi-player within a few days etc..

I basically raced through the development and blog setup, but the game has no bugs that I can see. It runs fine with decent security stuff like AVs, Sandboxie, AppGuard etc..

I can also build it on OSX/Mac and Linux; the code is already done for those. I can also do Android and IOS versions within a couple weeks. Or move it to HTML5 in browsers.

screenshots:
ImageImageImage
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:53 am

The whole poll is a bit dodgy, if you want to do something, do it, no one should stand in your way, if you think it is worth continuing development do so.

A better question would probably be what platform someone prefers, and personally, web/EXE. but please, if you make it multiplayer, let us disable PvP
redocJT
level0

Postby redocJT » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:26 am

I have a different perspective as someone with a career, other software, and a life to manage.

For multi-player I'd use SSL and group-game-queuing on a central HTTP server with a DB and CGI for sessions and user-persistence. LAN would also use a central server. Probably with the server running in another thread of an active player who sets themselves as a host; maybe have a sql-lite portable db for them.

Looking at exosyphen, terminalzero(now dead), and introversion it looks like this genre and style is mostly dead except for occasional new-players.

An unattractive&inconvenient truth to players in this genre is that no rational vendor or developer is going to invest in things like MP and/or a long life-cycle if the product isn't going to make money.. Apply any 'eww capitalism' philosophy you want to that; it won't change unless someone excessively wealthy makes a hacksim out of intrigue and is stupid enough to give free support. Why do you think out of the two living vendors, one has almost non-existent development, and the other rescripts&re-brands the same game?

Return to “General”