Mod Creation

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

computerquip
level0

Mod Creation

Postby computerquip » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:17 am

I'm wanting to start creating a mod. I haven't looked into it much outside of the forum. What information can I get on mod creation?

What do I need to make a mod?
computerquip
level0

Postby computerquip » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:44 am

So I've come to realize the game I've enjoyed, Uplink, has pretty much died. Most of their mods are 5+ years old, I've had 4 views on a 24-hour old post, all of which are me rechecking the page to see if I said something wrong. Most of the alternatives created via the Dev CD are vaporware or some others such as Codelink defeat the purpose of themselves by trying to accomplish multiplayer when their community thinks they're actually hackers and are just about as asshole-ish as it could get.

While I wouldn't mind a multiplayer version of this containing some uploadable scripts to face off against each other in a virtual arena simulating a server vs server battleground, this won't happen because of the community that comes with it and simply because of the lack of demand.

I wanted the Dev CD so I could modify the game to add some features which I either cannot find or were added over 5+ years ago and no longer works with the current DRM-free version of Uplink. I don't feel like spending the same amount of money I would to buy a full commercial game just to get the source code of a dying game.

I don't understand why Uplink is deprived of so much attention from their creator or why they didn't just make a modding API rather than just give source code (since a modding API would promote the game more and not promote branching away from the original so much). There are various ideas for Uplink that are simply ignored since the game was released.

I'm not dissatisfied with the game given what I paid for it but I think something better could have come out of it.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:19 am

If you want a PvP version, check codelink, thats basically uplink online. There are some differences, but it is pretty good.

Return to “General”